Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hello! Any ballast experts there? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7389)

Jonathan 12th April 2010 12:43

Hello! Any ballast experts there?

Hello to all the members of Railway Forum! I want to open my membership with a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere on the web...what would be a fairly representative range of volumes in m3 for the amount of gravel/ballast used in the construction of a two-tracked railway line (I am particularly interested in what this figure might be in the Russian Railway system). I'm sure that among all the members there will be somebody who will answer my plea! Many thanks, and thanks for having me on board.

pavorossi 12th April 2010 13:47

Hello and welcome to the forum Jonathan. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure one of members will be able to help.

locojoe 12th April 2010 13:51

Hello

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan (Post 45413)
Hello to all the members of Railway Forum! I want to open my membership with a question that I haven't been able to find the answer to anywhere on the web...what would be a fairly representative range of volumes in m3 for the amount of gravel/ballast used in the construction of a two-tracked railway line (I am particularly interested in what this figure might be in the Russian Railway system). I'm sure that among all the members there will be somebody who will answer my plea! Many thanks, and thanks for having me on board.

Hello Jonathan Welcome to the railway forum. Sorry I can't help with your question about gravel/ballast. :)

ccmmick 12th April 2010 13:52

Hi Jonathan and welcome.
Not me either the only thing i remember is the speed to go to lay the ballast

Sorry
ccmmick.

Jonathan 12th April 2010 14:11

Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Ploughman 12th April 2010 18:02

For a single line of railway you are looking at just about 1 cu M per metre of ballast.
approx 3.7m x 0.25m depth plus top ballast to fill sleeper bays.
If a greater depth is required then figuress change.

DSY011 12th April 2010 19:56

Hello Jonathan and welcome to the Railway forum. There is always someone on this forum that has the answer to almost any railway related question, if not, they know where to get the information for you.

John H-T 12th April 2010 20:35

Hello Jonathan and welcome to the Forum. I cannot give you exact figures but I can say that 100 tons of ballast doesn't go very far! We are relaying a lot of track at the moment and I will ask the man who orders the ballast how he works out quantities.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Mendipman319 12th April 2010 20:43

welcome to the forum! sorry i cant answer your question as John T-T said i should know but i cant remember :(

Jonathan 13th April 2010 09:41

Ploughman, many thanks for your response, I really appreciate it! I am currently working on developing a quarry producing among other things railway ballast up in the Russian arctic circle, and this kind of information is surprisingly hard to come by.

John H-T, I look forward to hearing how the man who orders your ballast works out quantities; it will be particularly interesting to have a "live" example.