Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why is it missing? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=14598)

keith morgan 4th November 2015 09:35

Why is it missing?

Visited Stafford station yesterday 3/11/15, whilst there i noticed that all the Pendolino units have had their front bottom cowling removed, this is the bit that normally covers the coupling equipment, does any one know why, also the additional coaches on the 11x car sets have the letter "U" on them, why U?

Beeyar Wunby 5th November 2015 20:05

Hi Keith

For your first question, it sounds like 'Winterisation'. Many companies put a protective bag round the coupler and connector box to prevent them being clogged with snow. The best time to take the panels off is when the train goes for an exam at a maintenance depot. The exams come up every few months (based on mileage) so trains being altered now will be ready for when (if) the snow comes.

Best wishes,

BW

johnmoly 6th November 2015 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby (Post 85307)
Hi Keith

For your first question, it sounds like 'Winterisation'. Many companies put a protective bag round the coupler and connector box to prevent them being clogged with snow. The best time to take the panels off is when the train goes for an exam at a maintenance depot. The exams come up every few months (based on mileage) so trains being altered now will be ready for when (if) the snow comes.

Best wishes,

BW

I'd have thought the best time to put a bag over couplers etc would be when taking panels off. Certainly not seen any bags yet although panels missing.

Beeyar Wunby 7th November 2015 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmoly (Post 85317)
I'd have thought the best time to put a bag over couplers etc would be when taking panels off. Certainly not seen any bags yet although panels missing.

Anybody can fit or remove a bag, ONLY a fitter can take the panels off and it makes sense to do this whilst the train is in an MPD for a periodical exam.

We're now in the Low Adhesion Season. Trains are being coated in grime, detritus and occasionally Traction Applicator Gel. If you put a bag on now it would just get fouled up.

Once the leaves are down and the freezing weather comes, that would be when the bags will go on. And the couplers need to be protected because the trains are more likely to fail in the freezing weather.

BW

Bubblewrap 7th November 2015 20:59

What happens "IF" it's "The wrong kind of snow"? :)

46232 8th November 2015 10:24

What happens if the freezing weather happens before the leaves are down, is it bag on or bag off?. Not a serious question Beeyar, although I'm sure there are procedures, I was just being a bit silly. I always find your inside information most informative

On a more serious note, It's not uncommon to see Pendos flying up and down even in summer with the cowling missing, I've often wondered what the reason is

swisstrains 8th November 2015 23:09

I'm confused (Quite common nowadays :)) Why remove the cover that already protects the coupling from the elements just to replace it with a bag?
I saw three Pendolinos today and all were fully intact (both ends).
It's quite common to see Pendolinos with their covers missing after a weekend where engineering work has resulted in diversions over non-electrified lines and they have been towed by diesel locos.

46232 9th November 2015 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 85334)
I'm confused (Quite common nowadays :)) Why remove the cover that already protects the coupling from the elements just to replace it with a bag?
I saw three Pendolinos today and all were fully intact (both ends).
It's quite common to see Pendolinos with their covers missing after a weekend where engineering work has resulted in diversions over non-electrified lines and they have been towed by diesel locos.

I hadn't thought about diversions, as being the need to remove the covering, thanks for that Swisstrains. I wonder how quick they are at replacing them once they are off, would it be done as a matter of routine the next time they are in the depot?

Beeyar Wunby 9th November 2015 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 85334)

Because the cover doesn't keep the snow out - that stuff gets everywhere !

It shouldn't be necessary to remove the covers just to HAUL a pendolino with a loco. They're designed to move back to allow assistance. See this....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtZms1U9bw

swisstrains 9th November 2015 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby (Post 85340)
Because the cover doesn't keep the snow out - that stuff gets everywhere !

It shouldn't be necessary to remove the covers just to HAUL a pendolino with a loco. They're designed to move back to allow assistance. See this....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtZms1U9bw

Yes, I appreciate what you are saying but to the casual observer the cover appears to be "missing" even though it may well be tucked up behind the bodywork.