Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where is The Red Dragon (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=12976)

Bookman 11th January 2014 15:59

Where is The Red Dragon

Hello! I know this is the train rather than the engine, but I have a need to find a "Red Dragon" engine. I have recently finished writing a book called "The Boy Who Caught The Dragon" and have self-published it, which means I have to do my own marketing.

I would like to get a photo of me next to a "Red Dragon" engine. There was one at the Steam museum in Swindon, but not any more - I guess they are taken around the country for display.

Does anyone know where I might find such an engine for this purpose? If not, are there any suggestions about where I might find out?

You have been most helpful to me before - thank you for that. I would be most grateful if anyone could help me again.

Kind regards

Tony

TRP 12th January 2014 09:45

Hi Tony.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but as you say, the Red Dragon was a train rather than a locomotive. So what you would need is a suitable loco with the Red Dragon headboard. From what I understand, suitable locos used on the Red Dragon on a regular basis included GWR Castle & BR Britannia class locos. As for the headboard, I'm not sure where you'd find one of these, but I'm sure they still exist at a heritage railway somewhere, or at the National Railway Museum perhaps. Alternatively, a replica headboard could probably be made relatively easily.

Hope this is some help.

Tony

richard thompson 12th January 2014 12:14

Would be worth asking the Didcot railway centre about the headboard or Tyseley locomotive works. Both have castles that you might be able to photo.
Richard

Bookman 13th January 2014 08:05

Thank you Tony and Richard. I shall pursue your suggestions. I will let you know if I have some success.

Regards

Tony

Bookman 14th January 2014 14:27

Problem solved!!

Hello again!

I rang (sometimes personal contact is more effective) the Steam GWR museum at Swindon and they have graciously agreed to mount a Red Dragon headboard on a suitable engine for me. I will be contacting them again, nearer the date when I want to visit with camera and book in hand, and probably with family in tow.

When things fall into place it makes such a red letter day. Many thanks to you too for the advice and encouragement.

Regards

Tony

boilersuit 14th January 2014 16:01

Glad it turned out well for you, Bookman. As you say, it's great when things turn out well like that. I'm sure the people at Steam will be chuffed to be able to help you.
Any chance of posting the image on here when you have it in the bag?

Silver Fox Phil 14th January 2014 18:45

Railway people are the best! Always willing to help.
Good stuff
Cheers
Phil

Bookman 18th March 2014 09:28

Photo from "STEAM" museum at Swindon

1 Attachment(s)
I took my family with me to Swindon and we all took photos. It was a great day out and I had a few good pics for my press release - see attachment.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Tony

ps the book is "The Boy Who Caught The Dragon"

richard thompson 19th March 2014 22:40

Glad it has worked out for you!
Richard