Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Stations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What are the best looking stations (interior or exterior)? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=1274)

dlh1983 21st June 2007 14:55

What are the best looking stations (interior or exterior)?

Out of the ones I've been to I'd say:

Best interior appearance- Manchester Victoria

Best exterior appearance- Huddersfield*

* I don't always see the outside of stations though if I'm just changing trains. I've changed trains at the following stations without seing the exterior: Sheffield, Kings Cross, Newton-le-Willows, Wakefield Westgate, Chester, Manchester Oxford Rd and Stockport.

swisstrains 15th August 2007 22:19

I see that it's your home station but what do you find so attractive about Huddersfield station?

locojoe 15th August 2007 22:38

St Pancras

1 Attachment(s)
St Pancras Station Exterior is very impressive.

222007 15th August 2007 22:46

Exterior is a difficult 1 St Pancras is majestic also Bristol Temple Meads. Interior Well Manchester Picadilly is one of the best i think and i think again St Pancras has to be a contender with barlows train shed being refurbed

pavorossi 16th August 2007 09:47

Exterior wise it's got to be St Pancras. Interior is more difficult, thye art deco entrance hall at Leeds and the platforms at Piccadilly are both nice, but having said that what about York? I've only ever passed through Huddersfield station, but it seems to be nice enough, don't know what it's like outside though.

Adam

paul miller 16th August 2007 18:41

I think York or Bristol Temple Meads takes some beating. Mind you as I write this I have thought about Paddington. Beautiful interiors all of them.
Waterloo concourse. St Pancras outside.
Ok I admit it. I just love the lot.

martin adamson 19th August 2007 17:33

I think Manchester Piccadilly has the best interior. As for exterior it has to be between Leeds and Sheffield, I like that 'wave' roof on Leeds station but I like the water feature that is found at the front station entrance at Sheffield.

pavorossi 20th August 2007 15:01

I agree with you about the water feature at Sheffield, David. I've only seen it once, if I remember correctly it was when I was on my way to the tram museum at Crich. But I don't like that part of Leeds station, it always seems to me as if it's a modern attempt at a grand roof without any success.

Adam

dlh1983 21st September 2007 10:01

What I like about the exterior of Huddersfield station is the way the Georgian architecture makes it look spectacular and blend in with the surrounding buildings. It also doesn’t have the old orange and white British Rail sign, instead it has the old British Rail logo as a silver plate above the entrance.

I’m not saying the interior of Manchester Piccadilly is not good, but it’s almost the same as other stations including Leeds. Manchester Victoria’s interior is more unique. Although, probably the fact that a station the size of Manchester Victoria does not have train ticket machines as an alternative to the ticket office, may annoy some passengers. I’ve never purchased a ticket at Manchester Victoria myself though.

Bubblewrap 5th December 2007 21:06

I know it's closed & long gone but what about Nottingham Victoria or do demolished ones count?
Or what about Bristol Temple Meads?