Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Dinner is served !!!!! (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8227)

48111 28th July 2010 14:52

Dinner is served !!!!!

Well in 1968, if you were lucky enough to be travelling on the "Royal Scot" the 10.05 Euston to Glasgow and you fancied having a "nosh", here is the menu for that train.
Pate or
Thick Vegetable soup
or Fruit Juice.
MAIN COURSE

Roast Leg of Lamb, Mint Sauce or,
Halibut Duglere or,
Cold Chicken and Ham Salads
Roast Potatoes and Duchess Potatoes
Cauliflower Polonaise, Peas.
Sweet

Fruit Salad Flan and Cream or,
Scotch Woodcock or,
Cheese Board, Salads
Price a mere 18/- !

Coffee 1/6d a cup.
No mention of Tea.
.................................................. ......................
On the other hand, if you were on the Western and travelled on the 1815 Paddington to Worcester you could have Mushroom soup,Sirloin Steak, chips and Peas, Apple pie and Cream AND Coffee for atotal price of 19/6d.
If on the other hand you just wanted to stay in the buffet car, you could have a hot snack of Boiled Egg with Roll and Butter 2/- or Hot pies at 1/7d each or Egg and Bacon for 4/-
Coffe in the Buffet was 1/- a cup.

Eat up lads...Enjoy.

I wonder if they do the same on todays trains ???

pre65 28th July 2010 14:55

Everyone knows we are "old" when we start talking about pre decimal money.:D

48111 28th July 2010 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 51237)
Everyone knows we are "old" when we start talking about pre decimal money.:D

"Shurrup" :D:D:D

locojoe 28th July 2010 15:20

Sarnies

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 51236)
Well in 1968, if you were lucky enough to be travelling on the "Royal Scot" the 10.05 Euston to Glasgow and you fancied having a "nosh", here is the menu for that train.

Yes Peter and if you were working on the footplate of the "Royal Scot" you would have had a couple of cheese sarnies eh.:D

Midland Compound 28th July 2010 23:12

No chicken tikka masala ? Why wasn't our national dish on the menu ?!:p

locojoe 29th July 2010 09:00

Chicken tikka masala

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midland Compound (Post 51282)
No chicken tikka masala ? Why wasn't our national dish on the menu ?!:p

Chicken tikka masala is good but Roast Leg of Lamb and Mint Sauce on the "Royal Scot" menu looks better as far as I'm concerned.:D

pre65 29th July 2010 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by locojoe (Post 51294)
Chicken tikka masala is good but Roast Leg of Lamb and Mint Sauce on the "Royal Scot" menu looks better as far as I'm concerned.:D

The thought of a Roast leg of lamp dinner is starting to make me salivate ! Good old British fare is (in my humble opinion) the best there is !:D

I'm not adverse to "foreign" food, it has added much to this countries taste-buds but roast lamb is my number 1 with roast pork number 2.;)

48111 29th July 2010 10:47

Well if you travelled on a Pullman service in the same period and decided to take breakfast, you could indulge from what was known as the "Silver Tray", and the menu would consist of Mushrooms and fried bread plus the usual selection of Bacon,Eggs and Sausages.
If on the other hand you Did not have the Silver Tray service and were only a normal Buffet customer, your menu would only consist of Saute Potatoes and grilled Tomatoes.

The LMS also offered on many service in their catering vehicles a lunch menu that cost a mere 17/- and that consisted of.
Grapefruit Segments or
Scotch Broth.
Main Course
Roast Beef, Horseradish sauce or
Fillet of Sole "bonne femme" - Peas Carrots roast and creamed potatoes or
Cold meat salads.
Fruit Tart and cream or
Mushrooms on toast or
Cheeseboard and Salad.

Drinks Extra.
So all in all , the passenger was well catered for back then and you can bet it tasted absolutely delicious. I have seen some of the old chefs in BR days, they were fully trained chefs, dressed in "whites" and the catering staff were trained Silver service waiters and waiteress to 5 star standard.
I had a relation who worked on BR in the train catering and I can assure you the training they had was not to be sniffed at.

Midland Compound 29th July 2010 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 51300)
Well if you travelled on a Pullman service in the same period and decided to take breakfast, you could indulge from what was known as the "Silver Tray", and the menu would consist of Mushrooms and fried bread plus the usual selection of Bacon,Eggs and Sausages.
If on the other hand you Did not have the Silver Tray service and were only a normal Buffet customer, your menu would only consist of Saute Potatoes and grilled Tomatoes

No kippers ?:(

PS No eggs for me !:eek:

5701 29th July 2010 14:37

catering

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midland Compound (Post 51309)
No kippers ?:(

PS No eggs for me !:eek:

Makes the current offering look poor quality wish Virgin would start to offer real food seems as though East Coast are also backtracking on catering as well.The old GE lines from Liverpool Street offersd good food as well.