Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8452)

Dave Roberts 29th August 2010 15:52

Say Hello

Hello Team,

I could not find out how to ADD this post to the existing 'Say Hello' forum so was forced to start a new one - Sorry Moderator, help, please.

I live in Chesterfield and have been a Model Railway person all my life - well 60 years of it anyway. Followed in my Dad's footsteps. I am currently involved in a project to model the Brixham Branch and the Kingswear Branch as they were in the 1950's - NO SMELLY DIESELS.

I am modelling in 00 Gauge Finescale. I am looking for the Sleeper Spacing of 60 ft track section used on these lines. I have been using 'GREAT WESTERN BRANCH LINE MODELLING' by Stephen Williams as a reference but when I came to recreate the track the sleeper spacings just did not stack up!

I was searching for other references when I came across this site and notices that 24 sleepers could be 26 which makes more sence but the reference in the book is quite adamant that it is 24.

24 to a 60 ft section with spacings of 2 ft 6 in is mathematically correct. However, at both ends the two sleepers supporting the actual joint reduces this gap to just 2 ft over the joint and the next gap to just 2 ft 3 in to provide additional support and the third sleeper to 2 ft 5 in before the settling down to the 'standard' 2 ft 6 in spacing.

When I made the template this did not stack up but udine 25 or 26 would because I am sure that the Permanent Way team would not be to the half inch when placing the sleepers.

Can anyone help, please?

Dave

48111 29th August 2010 16:39

Well Dave it sounds as though you certainly know your stuff when it comes to Model Railways, very interesting.

But Welcome to the Forum, a smashing forum with lots of nice members.

Look forward to your posts.

Enjoy.

Ian White 29th August 2010 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Roberts (Post 53042)
Hello Team,

I could not find out how to ADD this post to the existing 'Say Hello' forum so was forced to start a new one - Sorry Moderator, help, please.

I live in Chesterfield and have been a Model Railway person all my life - well 60 years of it anyway. Followed in my Dad's footsteps. I am currently involved in a project to model the Brixham Branch and the Kingswear Branch as they were in the 1950's - NO SMELLY DIESELS.

I am modelling in 00 Gauge Finescale. I am looking for the Sleeper Spacing of 60 ft track section used on these lines. I have been using 'GREAT WESTERN BRANCH LINE MODELLING' by Stephen Williams as a reference but when I came to recreate the track the sleeper spacings just did not stack up!

I was searching for other references when I came across this site and notices that 24 sleepers could be 26 which makes more sence but the reference in the book is quite adamant that it is 24.

24 to a 60 ft section with spacings of 2 ft 6 in is mathematically correct. However, at both ends the two sleepers supporting the actual joint reduces this gap to just 2 ft over the joint and the next gap to just 2 ft 3 in to provide additional support and the third sleeper to 2 ft 5 in before the settling down to the 'standard' 2 ft 6 in spacing.

When I made the template this did not stack up but udine 25 or 26 would because I am sure that the Permanent Way team would not be to the half inch when placing the sleepers.

Can anyone help, please?

Dave

Hello Dave and welcome,to add or take any thing away from your post's click on the edit tab at the bottom of the first post you made and then make your edits and save,any problems give me a shout and i'll help you out.

All the best,Ian

Dave Roberts 29th August 2010 18:45

Hello Ian.

Many thanks for your reply. As this was my first post I had nothing to reply to. That was the oroginal problem. however, no problems now.
Dave

DSY011 29th August 2010 22:09

Hello Dave and welcome to the Railway Forum.

locojoe 29th August 2010 22:29

Hello

Hello Dave welcome to the Railway Forum. :)

Dave Roberts 30th August 2010 09:33

Hello Team.
Thank you all for your warm welcome to this forum.
I have created a template using 25 Sleepers but even the MOD Permanent Way documention states 24 to 60 ft sections. I'd love to know how they do it!
If I get no feedback I intend to stick to 25 rather than adjust the spacing to cope with 24 as it looks ridiculous with scale gaps at 2ft 9 in!

Dave Roberts 30th August 2010 11:01

I think that I have figured out what was actually done but it would need a PW member to confirm this. The rail was supplied from the rolling mill in lengths of 60 ft nominal length.
When laid the ends would need to be cut square and fishplate holes drilled one end at a time. The sleepers would then have been laid to the standard pattern and when they got to the other end of the rail it would have been cut square and to the length required to match the 'standard' sleeper spacings. In this case, with only 24 sleepers, that would work out at 59 ft exactly. Problem solved! I hope.

48111 30th August 2010 14:28

Got any photos Dave ?

Love to"ave a butchers" !!

John H-T 30th August 2010 21:17

Welcome to the Forum Dave. Look forward to your contributions especially on modeling topics.

Best wishes,

John H-T.