Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi All, Bletchley/Bedford, anyone near me ? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=5060)

timmy toad 9th July 2009 22:00

Hi All, Bletchley/Bedford, anyone near me ?

Hi all, i am hoping i find someone local to me who knows the layout of Bletchley and/or Bedford Railway stations.

There is special Steam Train coming up to my neck of the woods on saturday, i live in flitwick on the kings cross/st pancras main line this steam train was originally coming through my local station, but now they have changed the route, it is now going from euston to bletchley then along a branch line to bedford then up to the distant north.

So i am hoping to contact somone local who knows where i can go to SPOT this steam train, please.

another problem, my eldest daughter has gone on holiday with my camera and i have had to borrow an old camera (no zoom) with a colour film !, in it ,so i would like to get quite close to this steam engine to enable me to get a good picture or two.

can anyone advise please

tim

DSY011 9th July 2009 22:13

Hello Tim and welcome to the Railway Forum. I'm in Bristol and have not been to Bletchley since I went to the GPO telephones school at Bletchley Park in the early 1980's.

timmy toad 9th July 2009 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSY011 (Post 29344)
Hello Tim and welcome to the Railway Forum. I'm in Bristol and have not been to Bletchley since I went to the GPO telephones school at Bletchley Park in the early 1980's.

My mum used to work at bletchley park during the war, when i lived at woburn sands and was old enough to go out to work from 1961, i worked at wolverton carriage and wagon works, went to work behind a little steam engine !, even before 1960 i went out on my own to cambridge and oxford (on the train of course) spotting steam engines, those were the days, never been the same since eh.

tim

G6 UXU 9th July 2009 22:26

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum, I am sure someone will help you out on here, enjoy and all the best.

Andy 10th July 2009 10:05

Hi Tim, welcome to RF, hope you enjoy the site.

Bletchley Park has been a bit run down (criminally in my opinion) but I believe there are ambitious plans afoot.

cheers,
Andy

garrat 10th July 2009 14:35

Hi Tim why not get down to where the old st johns was or bedford midland I am on that trip its due ito depart bedford at 7.43 due back around 21.18 funny enough my mate on the trip also used to work at wolverton c/w hope you get some good pics mate Paul

timmy toad 10th July 2009 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garrat (Post 29357)
Hi Tim why not get down to where the old st johns was or bedford midland I am on that trip its due ito depart bedford at 7.43 due back around 21.18 funny enough my mate on the trip also used to work at wolverton c/w hope you get some good pics mate Paul

thanks for that info pal, i shall see what i can do, does train still go on the same track that was there when st johns station was operating ?

tim

locojoe 10th July 2009 19:16

Hello Tim and welcome to the forum,

springs branch mickey 10th July 2009 19:21

Hi Tim. Welcome. Only been through, so I don't know it well. There are some knowledgeable blokes on this site.

garrat 10th July 2009 21:02

Hi Tim no only part of the line. there is a new st johns now just under the old bridge near the hospital looks like it could rain so get your brolly out mate Paul