Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Light Rail and Metros (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need help with the lingo (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=4154)

Scott_Ellis 10th March 2009 10:21

Need help with the lingo

Hi,

I am the newest newbie.

I am a translator, translating a safety manual into English, and find the English terminology is a little daunting. I can find quite a bit in published glossaries, but not all.

Is anyone here interested in trying to help me out if I describe the item or situation as best I can and suggest something?

Example:
In a Bombadier light rail cab (Stockholm metro), various models, there is some sort of key that has to be inserted for the train to run. Is this simply an <<ingnition key>> as in an automobile, or is there a special term here?

I found a German-English Bombadier glossary that referred to "activation key" (in English, yet my Swedish soruce lists 3 or four other synoymns.

Thus, how many other terms are in use and what are they?

thanks in advance
-scott ellis

chuffchuff 10th March 2009 11:12

Master Key? also known as an EP Key

Scott_Ellis 10th March 2009 11:22

Thanks chuffchuff (like the name!).

QUESTION 2:
Is there a standard call that a driver of a light rail trains makes to announce the doors are about to close? Swedish "Se upp för dörrstängning" litteraly. "Look out for closing doors" Short and sweet, eh? :)

pavorossi 10th March 2009 13:09

Hello and welcome to the forum Scott. With regards to your question, I'm not sure. I know on the Metrolink system in Manchester the driver doesn't say anything about the doors, as there is an automated bleeping sound which goes off when they are closing.

DSY011 10th March 2009 20:54

Hello Scott Ellis and welcome to the Railway Forum. You may also find that something is called one thing in one part of the UK and another in a different part of the country.

John H-T 12th March 2009 10:55

Welcome to the Forum Scott Ellis. We will do out best to help you.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Shed Cat 18th March 2009 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Ellis (Post 25054)
QUESTION 2:
Is there a standard call that a driver of a light rail trains makes to announce the doors are about to close? Swedish "Se upp för dörrstängning" litteraly. "Look out for closing doors" Short and sweet, eh? :)

Welcome Scott Ellis. I like the idea of us helping. As Syd said there will be different expressions around the UK.

A slightly old fashioned announcement is "Stand Clear of the Doors" - but rapid beeping is more usual nowadays. I think the Swedish announcement is better

Mushroom 19th March 2009 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shed Cat (Post 25402)
Welcome Scott Ellis. I like the idea of us helping. As Syd said there will be different expressions around the UK.

A slightly old fashioned announcement is "Stand Clear of the Doors" - but rapid beeping is more usual nowadays. I think the Swedish announcement is better

hi there, i cant think of anywhere that uses a stand clear message. All trams and trains use an alarm of some description, this is commonly known as a 'hustle alarm'. On some busy services the hustle alarm isnt enough to get passengers to clear the doors, and drivers and conductors take to shouting 'stand clear of the closing doors' down the PA system

Sprocket 17th June 2009 22:15

Robinson, Manzarek, Densmore, Krieger... and Stan Clear of The Doors!

The key is often known as the driver's key.

SDX 20th June 2009 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mushroom (Post 25432)
hi there, i cant think of anywhere that uses a stand clear message. All trams and trains use an alarm of some description, this is commonly known as a 'hustle alarm'. On some busy services the hustle alarm isnt enough to get passengers to clear the doors, and drivers and conductors take to shouting 'stand clear of the closing doors' down the PA system

Hello,

In Paris metro and "RER" systems, the buzzing sound before closing the doors means (of course): "doors are about to close, please keep clear of them". But it is understood as :"last moments to try and climb into the train". Hence a lot of delays...