Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   A service I'm happy with. (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7799)

steam for ever 8th June 2010 20:49

A service I'm happy with.

Yes there is one. :D
From last thursday to sunday I was up in Scotland as I am many times a year, but this time I thought I would actually pay attention to the railway and spend a bit of time on it and around it.
I can moan on and on about Northern rail, but on the Edinburgh- perth line via Abergyle, Kinghorn and Markinch etc is a service I cannot fault in any way. All trains are clean, in a good livery and operate frequently. DMUs such as 170s, 158s and the odd HST are regualar. The views are stunning and the staff are polite. I would reccomend a trip on this line on a sunny day so the forth bridge can be enjoyed in all it's glory. Waverley station is one of the friendliest stations I know. The staff are helpful and the city around it is magnificent.
The best place to view trains in and out is one of the foot bridges accross the line at Princes street gardens. This is between the tunnels.
One thing missing is freight- that uses an avoiding route.
The old haymarket steam shed that once stabled A3s and A4s is still intact and houses DMUs.

Steam in Edinburgh is a recent event.
Stock at the station is: 158s, 170s, HSTs, 225s, 185s, 156s, Voyagers of various companies and a sleeper.
Not a 142 in sight. If you can go, do. It won't be regretted.

faltskog36abba 8th June 2010 21:35

as i live in manchester and use northern,its a pleasure to head up to scotland and use a reliable railway,i visit friends in hillington on the glasgow central greenock line,the trains very reliable and in the rush hour are 6 cars,edingburgh what a city, remember getting a charter from man vic about 5 years ago to the festival..beautiful city friendly and vibrant,i found a great vantage point for spotting from the castle,looking down at the tunnels coming out of waverley,scotland has got it so right,why cant england?

steam for ever 9th June 2010 21:33

Well a good place to go is Carlisle. Here Scotrail and Northern clash directly. Up there Northern does a bit of occasional cleaning to the 158s and 153s in an act of shame.

lesleyholly 10th June 2010 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by steam for ever (Post 48198)
Well a good place to go is Carlisle. Here Scotrail and Northern clash directly. Up there Northern does a bit of occasional cleaning to the 158s and 153s in an act of shame.

not bashing northern today changed your pills then quoting a good toc something new

steam for ever 10th June 2010 20:24

Well cleanign has at least stepped up a bit on Northern's network.
I realise that the 142s, although hated by most travellers, will not be around for much longer in all likelyhood as passenger numbers continue to rise.
I dislike the company, not the DMUs, after all its not their fault.

lesleyholly 11th June 2010 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by steam for ever (Post 48249)
Well cleanign has at least stepped up a bit on Northern's network.
I realise that the 142s, although hated by most travellers, will not be around for much longer in all likelyhood as passenger numbers continue to rise.
I dislike the company, not the DMUs, after all its not their fault.

this side off pennines we consider northern a resonable toc after having arriva and northern spirit the trains turn up not so with previos 2