Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Multiple units (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=13771)

41225 7th November 2014 01:19

Multiple units

I remember travelling a lot on these in the sixties ,local ones with two cars (ie Rugeley to Birmingham)and from Snow hill to Cardiff (change at Gloucester?)with I think six cars.I always thought that they were a pleasant mode of travel and wondered if they were in fact commercially successful?I think they were all built my Metro -Vickers?

Madcaravanner 7th November 2014 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41225 (Post 82362)
I remember travelling a lot on these in the sixties ,local ones with two cars (ie Rugeley to Birmingham)and from Snow hill to Cardiff (change at Gloucester?)with I think six cars.I always thought that they were a pleasant mode of travel and wondered if they were in fact commercially successful?I think they were all built my Metro -Vickers?

There's a simple answer to that

Yes

A train using smaller power plants in tandem to move a heavy train is always more cost effective than one huge power plant for them as they use less power once motion is achieved
Plus maintenance of the smaller units is easier and cheaper than of loco's and faster turnarounds possible.

41225 7th November 2014 10:26

Are there similar units in use today?Living in Thailand I don't get to keep up with the UK much!

boilersuit 7th November 2014 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by 41225 (Post 82366)
Are there similar units in use today?Living in Thailand I don't get to keep up with the UK much!

I think it's true to say that the vast majority of passenger services in the UK are provided by multiple units these days. So much so in fact that enthusiasts turn out in their droves to enjoy the unusual sight of a loco-hauled train.

pre65 7th November 2014 12:07

Was the Midland Pullman (the blue train) the forerunner of modern high speed multiple units ?

wyvern 8th November 2014 10:29

No I believe it was power cars each end like the HST.

An important benefit of multiple units is that the tractive effort is spread over several sets of wheels which allows better acceleration without wheelslip.

Silver Fox Phil 8th November 2014 19:21

I actually loved to travel up front of a 60's DMU as the views were superb. You could see every loco coming and easily get the number of the steam engine. It was a great way to travel. I used to do it often from Lincoln to Newark Northgate, or Grantham for a shed bash, or to just spot on the ECML. Wonderful memories and mixed well with the last days of steam and early diesels. (I know the funny squared diesel thingies!) lol.
Had fun all the same.
Good stuff
Cheers
Phil

bramleyman 8th November 2014 19:48

I joined the railway in 1979, excuse the pun here, trained as a guard and worked my first train being a dmu on 12th March 1980 from King's Lynn to Cambridge bearing NSE Livery. I didn't like them too much, yet thinking back, they were comfy seating wise.

Yesterday when driving near Ely, I saw 3 enthusiasts at a crossing and so enquired if a 'Special' was due through, but they had just photographed a couple of units. Me? I would rather photograph class 66 loco's, but each to our own.

wyvern 9th November 2014 09:40

My memory of them was trips to and from base at Scampton on weekend pass.

At each country station stop the Beclawat sliding vents would rattle deafeningly from the vibration of the idling engines. By the end of the journey I'd have a raging headache.

Beeyar Wunby 9th November 2014 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by bramleyman (Post 82374)
Yesterday when driving near Ely, I saw 3 enthusiasts at a crossing and so enquired if a 'Special' was due through, but they had just photographed a couple of units. Me? I would rather photograph class 66 loco's, but each to our own.

Yes I totally agree with you on that. Give me a loco any day.

I suppose it's possible that they're trying to get good photos of the 365s on the Fen Line before they're superceeded by the class 377/5s which will be cascaded across from the Thameslink side (once the class 700s come into service there).

It's not due to happen for quite a while yet though, and even when it does there will still be 365s going to Peterborough.

Best wishes, BW