Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Looking for a disused line (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=10262)

Stationmaster 6th November 2011 18:54

Looking for a disused line

Hi everyone

My name is Charlotte

I'm making a film about a Stationmaster and Diesel line, can anyone recommend any abandoned lines in the U.K that still have track on them?

Many thanks

Madcaravanner 6th November 2011 19:27

You'll be very lucky to find track still down as when a railway line becomes surplus to requirements the track is usually very quickly removed due to the cost savings they may get out of it and so the land can be sold off

You may be better off with a smaller preserved line

John H-T 6th November 2011 20:11

The problem with using a preserved line is that it will cost you! We would be happy to provide facilities for you to film at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Derbyshire but there would be a charge.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

ianrail 6th November 2011 20:55

Hi Charlotte

I don't want to be discouraging but, even if you did find a length of "disused" line, it still belongs to someone - probably Network Rail, an operator or a private company. Filming on it without permission would certainly be trespassing. You might get permission (eventually) to film but I bet it would be much harder and more time-consuming than approaching a preserved railway. They will welcome you but yes, quite reasonably, they will make a charge.

bramleyman 6th November 2011 22:52

You could try the Wisbech & March Bramley Line, as they have track in place, but not yet running trains.

If you do contact them, don't hold your breath for an answer, as of late, they wish to remain somewhat secretive, which is the reason Why I recently terminated my membership after over 7 years dedication to the project.

wyvern 7th November 2011 10:16

I know Network Rail are currently lifting the Denby branch, but how far have they got?

(Just north of Derby, running from Little Eaton)

Shimbleshanks 7th November 2011 21:44

What about the Gaerwen-Amlwch branch on Anglesey in North Wales? Hasn't had a train in about 18 years but all 17 miles of track still in place - if you can find it beneath the undergrowth, of course...

Shimbleshanks 7th November 2011 21:47

Another one in North Wales - the Blaenau-Ffestiniog line. That one might be relatively free of undergrowth - I think there's some sort of agreement with the nuclear power authority to keep it clear of weeds.

merryhampton 9th November 2011 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimbleshanks (Post 64975)
Another one in North Wales - the Blaenau-Ffestiniog line. That one might be relatively free of undergrowth - I think there's some sort of agreement with the nuclear power authority to keep it clear of weeds.

There was an article about this line on the local ITV Welsh News tonight. Apparently volnteers are currently clearing the Blaenau Ffestiniog - Trawsfynedd line. This is apparently in connection with a pedal-powered transport and tourist project!

Sorry not to be more informative about this but I'm afraid I didn't catch the whole piece.

Further Info: They have just repeated the piece and apparently it's called a Velorail. The vehicle seems to consist of a 4 wheeled and disc-braked lightweight vehicle which is pedal powered by two passengers. Actually seems like it could be fun.

Shimbleshanks 9th November 2011 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryhampton (Post 65024)
There was an article about this line on the local ITV Welsh News tonight. Apparently volnteers are currently clearing the Blaenau Ffestiniog - Trawsfynedd line. This is apparently in connection with a pedal-powered transport and tourist project!

Sorry not to be more informative about this but I'm afraid I didn't catch the whole piece.

Further Info: They have just repeated the piece and apparently it's called a Velorail. The vehicle seems to consist of a 4 wheeled and disc-braked lightweight vehicle which is pedal powered by two passengers. Actually seems like it could be fun.

And probably faster than a Parry Peoplemover...