Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Train driver forgot to make stop (BBC News) (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7166)

RF News 12th March 2010 14:20

Train driver forgot to make stop (BBC News)

Train operator First Great Western apologises to passengers after a train driver forgot to stop at Didcot Parkway.

More from BBC News...

Anon Mouse 12th March 2010 14:31

Mistakes happen, I think its a bit harsh being made public to the BBC, hope the driver is OK and does not get treated to harshly by his bosses, I suspect they will throw this report back at him!

lesleyholly 12th March 2010 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RF News (Post 43752)
Train operator First Great Western apologises to passengers after a train driver forgot to stop at Didcot Parkway.

More from BBC News...

was didcots population on this train who told bbc news seems a lot passinger for didcot

wyvern 12th March 2010 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anon Mouse (Post 43753)
Mistakes happen, I think its a bit harsh being made public to the BBC, hope the driver is OK and does not get treated to harshly by his bosses, I suspect they will throw this report back at him!

Well it is classed as a safety of the line incident. Nobody is quite sure why apparently since a SPAD is not involved.

Anon Mouse 12th March 2010 17:02

Exactly Wyvern, seems a bit weird that this has made the press in this way

Deathbyteacup 12th March 2010 17:34

You know, I do this on Rail Simulator all the time.

Still, mistakes happen, no doubt there will be some extra training and a warning for the driver but, as my old man used to say; he who makes no mistakes does nothing at all.

Eccles71B 12th March 2010 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleyholly (Post 43764)
was didcots population on this train who told bbc news seems a lot passinger for didcot

The only source for the number (150) was a passenger quoted in the article. I'm not sure it could be taken as gospel.

Seabrook 12th March 2010 22:32

Must have been a slow news day in the local BBC Newsroom. It was a mistake or misunderstanding by the Train Driver. It might be classified as a 'Safety of Line Incident' which I couldn't comment on but there was no danger in the incident! Are the BBC beyond mistakes themselves? As everyone knows pencils have rubbers attached!

ccmmick 12th March 2010 23:04

I think any train driver or ex train driver on here will tell you that they have done the same i know i have afterall we are only human and they can't hang you for it.

ccmmick.

48111 13th March 2010 06:06

ccmmick...correct ! It is not the first time this has happened and no doubt it will not be the last. It is a pity the Media dont take a look at their own mistakes which happen on a DAILY basis. This kind of incident on the railway happens OCCASIONALLY.

Ok, the train should have stopped at Didcot, it did not, why ? Did the driver really forget ? Or was there some other reason ? Let the investigation take its course and if the driver is definately at fault then have him / her in the office and find out the real reason, but they must NOT make the driver a scapegoat in the first instance just because it was highlighted on the news.
That would be the easy way out, blame the driver and everyone is happy...wrong !

Trains, Planes, buses etc etc, the first thing the media mention is, was the person in charge (driver or pilot) at fault ?
They never actually wait until all avenues have been looked at.