Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Stations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Towcesters station,Northants (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=841)

Fluffysausage 9th January 2007 12:24

Towcesters station,Northants

All
What do you know about Towcesters railway station, on the old SMJ? I have a website at www.towcestersrailwayhistory.co.uk and am always looking for more photos, stories and general information aboutthe site at Towcester.
Email at [email protected]

Fluffysausage

swisstrains 12th January 2007 18:54

Fluffy,
I received the excellent book "Tickets Please" for Christmas and in it there is a picture of an Edwardian postcard that features the Blakesley Hall miniature railway on the Towcester Estate.

Fluffysausage 15th January 2007 18:29

Towcester estate?

Thanks for that. When you sat Towcester Estate, what do you mean?
Are we talking Easton Neston?
Andy

swisstrains 15th January 2007 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffysausage (Post 5705)
Thanks for that. When you sat Towcester Estate, what do you mean?
Are we talking Easton Neston?
Andy

Andy,
As I know nothing about Towcester and the surrounding area I can only quote what the photos caption says.

"A number of miniature railways were built to serve private estates, the first being that opened at the Duke of Westminster's Eaton Hall, in Cheshire, in 1898. These had both practical and entertainment fuctions. This Edwardian postcard shows the Blakesley Hall line, a working miniature railway built by CW Bartholomew from 1903 to serve his Towcester estate, in Northamptonshire."

The postcard shows a man sitting on a miniature steam loco with tippler wagons in the background.

Fluffysausage 18th January 2007 11:02

Thanks

Thanks for that John. I'll follow it up!

Andy

John H-T 18th January 2007 13:19

The layout looks very interesting. What will happen to it if you do not have it?

Fluffysausage 19th January 2007 12:27

Layout

RE the layout. Not sure what's going to happen to it. The Towcester 'History Boys' are concerned its too large for the space available. A local guy said he'd make a smaller (gauged) version but that doesnt account for this layout. I did say I could start a campaign, save the Towcester one!!

Andy:D

Fluffysausage 22nd January 2007 12:36

Towcester model layout

It will probably remain in store at Birmingham Science Museum storage facility.

if the Towcester museum does not want the layout, the Birmingham museum may sell it off if an offer is made to them.

John H-T 22nd January 2007 13:02

I wonder if they will sell 46235 City of Birmingham so it can be displayed properly see photos in my gallery!

Fruitgums 23rd January 2007 20:34

I guess that you have Forgotten Railways Chilterns and Cotswolds by R Davies and MD Grant? Published by David and Charles. Potted history and one photo of Towcester station.