Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Northern rail services. (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=6604)

steam for ever 14th January 2010 16:11

Northern rail services.

On observation from the past few weeks I have noticed that Northern rail are cutting down on maintainance.
Trains are no longer anywhere near clean and it is difficult to see the paint on some trains.
Never has this company had trains in such an awful state.
To get to work I use two train companies- Northern and First.
The latter of these companies is not my favourite and I have had many an argument with them.

At least First can keep their trains clean and actually keep them in a servicable state.

Northern rails trains have been getting dirtier and some of the doors have to be opened and closed by hand when unlocked by the gaurd.

Are we going to get new trains or are they going under?
If neither is correct then such a company has some explaining to do.

pavorossi 14th January 2010 17:14

I've always believed that Northern ought to keep there stock in a better state, some of it is truly disgusting.
Quote:

Originally Posted by steam for ever (Post 38877)
Northern rails trains have been getting dirtier and some of the doors have to be opened and closed by hand when unlocked by the gaurd.

Surely that's a serious enough issue to stop a unit from being in service?

steam for ever 14th January 2010 17:31

It is indeed and all are in a bad state.
If you are ever down in the direction of the mid cheshire take a ride and you will see what I mean.

Deathbyteacup 14th January 2010 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavorossi (Post 38880)
I've always believed that Northern ought to keep there stock in a better state, some of it is truly disgusting.

Surely that's a serious enough issue to stop a unit from being in service?

I don't think so, I've been on Pacers with dodgy doors that won't open, or won't open fully, on several occasions. The guard just makes a point of using that door to unlock.

I remember one occasion the guard got so fed up with the door he wasn't opening it manually in the traditional sence, he was more or less just punching and kicking it open.

swisstrains 15th January 2010 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by steam for ever (Post 38877)
To get to work I use two train companies- Northern and First..............................

SFE, which First service do you use and what type of train is it?

steam for ever 15th January 2010 19:17

I get on the Manchester airport trains from Stockport which are usually class 170s or 185s. The brand is First transpennine express.

Although Wilmslow is closer to the Lindow area I like to take a morning walk through Styal village which is pleasant.
If First still operated into Wilmslow I would go from Stockport to wilmsow as it is much easier in bad weather.
The EMUs now owned by Northern are in pretty good shape but only because they are still fairly new and have not been in that companies ownership that long.
Give it a few years and they will be covered in dirt with birdsnests and you will have to push.

swisstrains 15th January 2010 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by steam for ever (Post 39022)
I get on the Manchester airport trains from Stockport which are usually class 170s or 185s. The brand is First transpennine express.........................

Ah, in that case perhaps the cleaner external condition of the "First" trains is a result of the regular pampering they get by Siemens at their dedicated Ardwick depot.
If they're lucky poor old "Northerns" scrapheaps might just get a bucket of dirty water thrown over them when they pass through Newton Heath:)

steam for ever 15th January 2010 21:06

If I am honest over the past week they look like they go through a pond!

steam for ever 15th January 2010 21:14

In fact the mid cheshire has always had the runt of the litter when it comes to trains.
About 10 years ago my grandfather said "its the line where trains go to die"
Its true now and to a much worse extent.
I like the view out of the window on this line as it is very scenic but now you can't actually see the view.

Its perhaps a coincidencethat before the 1880's and Sir John Aspinall the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway had a very similar reputation and then they became one of the greatest.
I pray for the day.
A while back there was talk of a second line to Manchester airport between Hale and Ashley and would have been a nice trip.
If Metrolink fails in its plans to go to the Airport then this might be revived.

ccmmick 15th January 2010 21:16

A few years ago i went on Northen Rail and they were very dirty back then.
Its a shame because they have a nice colour scheme.

ccmmick