Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   your first ecounter with the southern? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=4402)

SOUTHEASTERN-465 8th April 2009 14:51

your first ecounter with the southern?

i would just like to know peoples first ecounter with the southern,its just that mine was in june,1998,and it was a NSE livered class 421 cig,and it was such a good memory,and thats my story what about yours?

Midland Compound 8th April 2009 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHEASTERN-465 (Post 26300)
i would just like to know peoples first ecounter with the southern,its just that mine was in june,1998,and it was a NSE livered class 421 cig,and it was such a good memory,and thats my story what about yours?

Bullied Pacific Waterloo to Weymouth in 1965 !:p (aged 7 at the time)

SOUTHEASTERN-465 9th April 2009 12:26

thanks for comment MC,
i would of loved to be around in the age of the steam,but out of all the trains ever been built for the southern i think the pacifics are the southerns iconic image,what do you think?
SouthEastern-465(NSERS member)

Bubblewrap 9th April 2009 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midland Compound (Post 26346)

Rebuilt or spam-can?

Bubblewrap 9th April 2009 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midland Compound (Post 26346)

Waterloo to Weymouth via Alton (engineering works) & return direct route

Merchant Navy, Battle of Britain/West country rebuilt & spam can & standard class5(named).
Touched nearly a 100 Mph coming back the fastest I did behind a steam loco.
This was over a Saturday night & Sunday Visited Weymouth,Bournemouth,Eastleigh & Basingstoke Sheds I was 17 at the time most of my "spotting was done on the Midland & eastern regions although I did go to Birmingham(Snow Hill)a few times.

SOUTHEASTERN-465 10th April 2009 14:01

first ecounters

the origianals,but i think BR spoilt them making the light pacifics,do you?and out of all the storys i have heard so far,i think yours is the best so far for the ecounter with the southern,do you agree on the unrebuilt-pacifics are the southerns most iconic train?

Midland Compound 10th April 2009 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblewrap (Post 26391)
Rebuilt or spam-can?

I can't remember that ! I lived in Derby at the time, and remember being surprised they still had steam on the route ...

SOUTHEASTERN-465 10th April 2009 16:24

ml

i think there was the occasional pacific midland!

Bubblewrap 10th April 2009 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUTHEASTERN-465 (Post 26425)
the origianals,but i think BR spoilt them making the light pacifics,do you?and out of all the storys i have heard so far,i think yours is the best so far for the ecounter with the southern,do you agree on the unrebuilt-pacifics are the southerns most iconic train?

The main reason the Bullied pacifics were rebuilt was their chain driven valve gear.
In their rebuilt form they were some of the finest locos to run on British Railways
regularly reaching 100mph.

SOUTHEASTERN-465 10th April 2009 18:15

unrebuilt best!

i know but i just have a thing for the unrebuilts!