Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What to do whilst waiting for a train/on your journey (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8905)

smiddleton 5th December 2010 17:24

What to do whilst waiting for a train/on your journey

Hiya,

This is quite random, but wondered if anyone could help me.

I am producing an A-Z guide of what to do whilst waiting for a train and whilst on a train as part of a uni project.

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions of what I can include in my guide (however odd and random they may seem)

For example, some I have already thought of are: count how many sheep you pass, spot a train spotter, buy someone a coffee etc.

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly received!

Thanks

Sophie

62440 5th December 2010 17:36

As there are quite a few people on this forum who are Trainspotters, that suggestion could cause offence.

Regards, 62440.

Bubblewrap 5th December 2010 17:36

Watch the trains...............if there any to watch ....................................But I don't write any numbers down as I gave up spotting over 30 years ago.
Spot the idiots who don't travel much by rail . :)

pre65 5th December 2010 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62440 (Post 56338)
As there are quite a few people on this forum who are Trainspotters, that suggestion could cause offence.

Regards, 62440.

Why should trainspotters be offended when a train traveller spots trainspotters spotting trains ?:D

I just like train travel, and watching everything that goes on keeps me happy.

37057 6th December 2010 13:38

Hello and welcome!

The thing I do mostly, depending on times etc, is visit the nearest pub whilst waiting for a train. Normally if I'm waiting for train an hour and over.

As for what you do on a train journey, sit back, relax and go to sleep! That's what I do when on these modern units getting from A to B! If I'm not sleepy then I just look out of the window and watch the world go by!
If I'm on a railtour then I sit back, relax and enjoy the thrash! :D

Bubblewrap 6th December 2010 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37057 (Post 56364)
Hello and welcome!

The thing I do mostly, depending on times etc, is visit the nearest pub whilst waiting for a train. Normally if I'm waiting for train an hour and over.! :D

I can recommend a pub close to Nottingham railway station it's called The Vat & Fiddle.

EuroStar 6th December 2010 16:50

I either watch the trains, read a book or newspaper.

Belmont Road 8th December 2010 09:00

Use them for work.

Love looking at our lovely countryside and spotting the traces of long closed lines.

Matthais-mouse 8th December 2010 12:45

Read a good book, Listen to music on an ipod/mp3 player, take your laptop and do work, games or movies, even invite people to watch with you lol, watch the world go by, play cards, write a letter, draw, the possibilities are almost infinite(not literally) but no end of these can be combined to make new ways. (hmmm i bit of an odd rant as it were but owell)

Hope this gives a scope of what can be done.

Let us know how the guide goes.

Steaming along alone 5th January 2011 17:56

You can listen to what the wheels say. Listen to people's conversations & try & work out who they are, what the relationship is between them ie. mother & son etc. what job they do, bla bla. If you are on the Orient Express...well...I will leave that to the imagination