Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Got a sweat on !! (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=6273)

48111 9th December 2009 11:47

Got a sweat on !!

Tell you the worst thing that happpened to me, frightening or what !

One day I was working a frieghtliner from Crewe to Willesden and on approaching Tring station on the up slow I was doing about 65mph and the up slow at Tring slewed over slightly so you coudnt see the station platform I whistled up anyway but as I got round the curve going through the platform all of a sudden there was a line of Pway staff crossing to get on to the platform, it was so close ......"Phew" never want that to happen again.
Well it wont now of course "cos" I am retired but it shook me up It was so close.I had an electric loco on the train cant remember the number I THINK it was an 86 but could not be sure now.

pre65 9th December 2009 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 35817)
Tell you the worst thing that happpened to me, frightening or what !

One day I was working a frieghtliner from Crewe to Willesden and on approaching Tring station on the up slow I was doing about 65mph and the up slow at Tring slewed over slightly so you coudnt see the station platform I whistled up anyway but as I got round the curve going through the platform all of a sudden there was a line of Pway staff crossing to get on to the platform, it was so close ......"Phew" never want that to happen again.
Well it wont now of course "cos" I am retired but it shook me up It was so close.I had an electric loco on the train cant remember the number I THINK it was an 86 but could not be sure now.

Bet you had a slight relaxing of the anal muscles ?:eek::D

48111 9th December 2009 12:00

Yes,mate putting it mildly LOL LOL

Dave Rowland 9th December 2009 12:40

I bet your personal pressure gauge was RIGHT up there!

saxokid 16th December 2009 02:16

sounds like close one then!!!:D

ccmmick 16th December 2009 10:56

Not very nice i bet your heart was in your mouth 48111.

In my last days on the railway i left Bristol with 22 empty silver bullets for Burngullow about 3am.
I came through Exeter on greens 45mph out of Exeter up 60mph as i came to City Basin just daybreak there was a person sat on the bridge with there legs my side right above the loco i said to myself dont jump you c??? dont you jump.
The person didnt jump but now i am thinking has he or she jumped on top of the loco or the train, i didnt report it and it was on my mind all the way to Plymouth.
I was put into Laria each way loop about 5am for 40mins so i went back to inspect the train for any body parts or blood but nothing.
I dont mind saying i felt quite sick i never had a suicide and didnt want to finish with one.

ccmmick.

Tony 16th December 2009 18:24

The mention by CCMMick of the "Silver Bullets" brings back memories of when the tank waggons were new and lived up to their name. I have always thought that the freight companies missed a trick by not promoting this service both as the longest regular freight sevice and quite a sight to see the gleaming tank train as it travelled from Cornwall to Scotland.
Of course, in the real (mundane) world of railways in Britain, any thought of promoting a freight train is total anathema. The tanks are now a dirty grey, undistinguishable from any others - a great shame.

klordger1900 16th December 2009 20:02

Excuse my ignorance from Essex and all, but what was in the silver bullets??

pre65 16th December 2009 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by klordger1900 (Post 36175)
Excuse my ignorance from Essex and all, but what was in the silver bullets??

From what I read on the net they contained china clay slurry.

ccmmick 16th December 2009 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 36178)
From what I read on the net they contained china clay slurry.

Yes that is right a train runs from Burngullow St Austell Cornwall to Irvine Scotland the longest freight service in the UK.

The tank wagons used to be washed by hand years ago and it looked very impressive but not any more.

ccmmick.