Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bedford St. Johns (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=13462)

paddylucas 8th July 2014 14:08

Bedford St. Johns

Hi

I regularly commute from Bedford to Woburn Sands along the MVL. Each time the train (Class 150 or Class 153) departs from Bedford St. Johns there is a loud hissing sound. I am at a loss as to what it is. Moreover, this "hissing" does not occur around other stations along the line. Any ideas as to what this is?

Regards

Patrick

Beeyar Wunby 9th July 2014 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddylucas (Post 81173)
Any ideas as to what this is?

Hi Patrick. Just been looking at this on youtube.

Sounds rather like the Main Res Tank blowing off.

HTH, BW

paddylucas 9th July 2014 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby (Post 81178)
Sounds rather like the Main Res Tank blowing off.

That is what it sounds like too me too but why around that station. Surely you empty the tank to apply the brakes when approaching a station and not when leaving it. Still puzzled but a little less. Thanks.

pre65 9th July 2014 10:38

What sort of brakes do those units have ?

Air pressure, or vacuum ?

If it's air pressure it might be the compressor unloading, based on my knowledge of lorry air brakes.

Beeyar Wunby 9th July 2014 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddylucas (Post 81179)
That is what it sounds like too me too but why around that station. Surely you empty the tank to apply the brakes when approaching a station and not when leaving it. Still puzzled but a little less. Thanks.

I'm not a DMU man, so this is conjecture based on other stock.

I'm guessing that the tank charges gently whilst the train idles in the station and so is fully topped-up by the time the train is ready to leave. When the train revs up the compressor runs faster but its output isn't needed straight away, therefore the excess blows off.

Maybe. :confused:

(We don't have this situation on EMUs. The compressor(s) run only when they sense the MRT pressure drop).

Beeyar Wunby 9th July 2014 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 81181)
What sort of brakes do those units have ?

Air pressure, or vacuum ?

Wiki wasn't much help, but the photograph there shows a Westcode style brake handle, so it's probably EP (electro-pneumatic) brakes.

Quote:

If it's air pressure it might be the compressor unloading, based on my knowledge of lorry air brakes.
Yes, or something similar.

paddylucas 9th July 2014 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby (Post 81183)
I'm guessing that the tank charges gently whilst the train idles in the station and so is fully topped-up by the time the train is ready to leave. When the train revs up the compressor runs faster but its output isn't needed straight away, therefore the excess blows off.

I am not a train man at all (just a childhood passion) but what you say makes sense. Thanks.

paddylucas 9th July 2014 12:32

There is no "hissing" at other stations along the line so maybe we can only hear this at BSJ because of something at track level? At the Bleychley end of BSJ the track curves quite a lot. Al the Bedford end there are a series of points.