Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Stations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Worst Station (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=184)

Steve Burdett 20th November 2005 18:50

Worst Station

We all see annual awards for the best kept/run stations on our network.
I am throwing the gauntlet down now by inviting suggestions for the worst stations on the network.
My personal award goes to Heysham Harbour which to incoming visitors by sea presents itself as a few rusting sheets of metal with the semblance of a permanent way entering it.
I expect an entry for Wakefield Kirkgate.
COME ON NAME AND SHAME!!

Nvincer 21st November 2005 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Burdett
I am throwing the gauntlet down now by inviting suggestions for the worst stations on the network.
COME ON NAME AND SHAME!!

Ore on the Ashford to Hastings line!!! Targeted heavily by vandals so now it is a steel mess!!!

Ben:cool: :cool:

Desiro-mad 21st November 2005 20:55

My local station, Marks Tey near Colchester seems a really tidy station and has 24 hour CCTV protection. I must congratulate the staff at Marks Tey, they do a great job!

Cheers
Desiro-mad

Ringoosmeg 22nd November 2005 23:00

Worst...

Top prize has to go to Birmingham New Street Dungeon...sorry Station, having spent time there on the P&M as an apprentice many many years ago, ive seen parts of it most never see, and its grusome from all angles!

Pull it down and build new again....mind they would probaly build something equally concrete and cr*p again!:(

Steve Burdett 24th November 2005 11:40

I was born in Birmingham and agree that the best thing to happen to New Street Station would be for it to be razed to the ground.At least Birmingham Moor Street looks good even if they can't use all the tracks!

5063 24th November 2005 19:02

Worst

I agree with the two previous posts.
Birmingham New Street is the worst station. I too have worked on New Street dealing with platform works about 20 years ago.
I remember the station before electrification with the overall roof and Queen's Drive between the LNW and Midland halves of the station. It was a great shame they had to cover it all in to provide a shopping mall. :(
I wonder what the new design will bring?

222007 4th December 2006 20:26

worst

As a regular user of new street and a mad enthusiast new street has to win top prize. I have no worries about changing trains so its not intimidating but the place is not welcoming in any way

John H-T 4th December 2006 21:55

Fortunately I left Birmingham before they completed the rebuilding of New Street, so my memories of the old station are unclouded! It is amazing how often I recognise the old station from Steam age photos!

James60059 11th December 2006 23:23

Sorry guys, but worst station has to be Nuneaton. OK I accept that the new extension - Platforms 6 and 7 are well lit and tidy but the rest is filthy, as for the public conveniences I'm surprised the Health and Safety Executive haven't said anything - I much rather nip to Asda and use their conveniences or if the Coventry unit is in - jump on that (bearing in mind it only has a 10-15 minute turn around time :)

Cheers

James

GBRf_66709 12th December 2006 21:04

I would say Ore was the worst station on the network. The platform shelters have no windows any more, the signs have gun shot dents in and theres dog crap everywhere. And sometimes on teletext you find that there is disruption between Hastings and Ashford because of faulty signals. I'm suprised Network Rail have'nt put a cage around it.

GBRf_66709