Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Steam train causes track-side fires (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7969)

markuk 28th June 2010 23:41

Steam train causes track-side fires

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2...e-28-06-10.php

Crikey!

Deathbyteacup 29th June 2010 00:42

That's not good news. :(

I hope this does not provide an excuse for limitations on steam traction to be imposed!

WesleyBrasil 29th June 2010 04:50

These steam engines still run? Steam locomotives in Brazil, the few who rescued are in museums, the rest bitter rust and the time

Bubblewrap 29th June 2010 04:54

Back in the steam days this happened almost every day,but less often than one would think considering how many steam locos thee were.
BUT one of the problems today is that track side vegetation is not kept properly under control
At one time the track gangs(Ganger & platelayers)used to cut the grass on their length.

Bubblewrap 29th June 2010 05:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesleyBrasil (Post 49229)
These steam engines still run? Steam locomotives in Brazil, the few who rescued are in museums, the rest bitter rust and the time

Yes steam Locomotives still run in preservation on enthusiasts specials.
And there are many "private" steam railways (see a couple below)
http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/
http://www.svr.co.uk/

Bubblewrap 29th June 2010 05:49

I have known track side fires caused by sparks off a train whilst braking also discarded(litter) glass bottles can also cause fires.

WesleyBrasil 29th June 2010 19:49

I've seen sites and stayed until half "beast" because in Brazil, the maximum that you can find private railroad railway is used for loading; schist

klordger1900 29th June 2010 21:25

Maybe spark arresters should be fitted to express locos since the bill for damping down these lineside fires would soon make the trips un-economical!!??

Deathbyteacup 29th June 2010 21:36

I think the particularly dry weather recently hasn't helped. I don't think this is a common occurrence these days?

John H-T 29th June 2010 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by klordger1900 (Post 49266)
Maybe spark arresters should be fitted to express locos since the bill for damping down these lineside fires would soon make the trips un-economical!!??

Spark arresters are fitted to all mainline registered steam locos. The reason for Bittern's withdrawal from traffic recently was to check that the spark arrester fitted was doing the job after a series of fires on routes she had been on.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

62440 29th June 2010 23:07

1 Attachment(s)
It happens on the preserved lines too!

This was the 13.15 departure from Loughborough earlier this month, delayed while the crew dealt with an outbreak caused by the loco on Driver Experience duties. At least the Diners would be able to enjoy their soup without spilling it.

Regards, 62440.

klordger1900 30th June 2010 20:59

Maybe they need skirts down the sides to stop sparks coming off the brake blocks - I know thats a problem on shunters where there is vegetation close by the lineside. It doesnt take much to set it off because I have been caught up in it first hand.

John H-T 30th June 2010 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by klordger1900 (Post 49308)
Maybe they need skirts down the sides to stop sparks coming off the brake blocks - I know thats a problem on shunters where there is vegetation close by the lineside. It doesnt take much to set it off because I have been caught up in it first hand.

I wouldn't expect sparks off break blocks in "normal use!"

Best wishes,

John H-T.

locojoe 1st July 2010 00:28

fireworks

When I was working on N7s at Enfield the fire sometimes needed cleaning at the end of a run. So before reaching our destination, if the fire was too big, firemen would ask the driver to knock it about a bit. He would then work the engine very hard only nicking up the reverser just a bit. At night the result of this was a grand fireworks display,
The engine would then emit huge showers of sparks chucking the unwanted fire out through the chimney. This was ok in London where we worked, but if you did this out in the sticks there was a good chance of catching the fields alight.:)

Pacific Power 1st July 2010 10:50

Have you ever seen the sparks flying off a CL47 when braking a heavy train from 60 mph?

Dynamo 1st July 2010 11:41

1 Attachment(s)
All steam trains running on between Goathland and Levisham on the NYMR at the moment are either piloted or propelled by diesel traction because of the high fire risk on that part of the line. There's still steam loco's on the trains, but they make sure that the work is at least shared by the two loco's so there isn't excessive smoke coming out of the steamer.

Even so, there's still been a couple of small fires, one of which I helped put out between Levisham and Pickering on Monday. On Tuesday I worked as second man on the Dry Weather loco, coupling and uncoupling at Goathland and Levisham all day and pottering up and down between the two, using a Class 25.

Here's a pic I took of the Class 25 just after we'd piloted the 9F from Goathland to Levisham.

John H-T 1st July 2010 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacific Power (Post 49333)
Have you ever seen the sparks flying off a CL47 when braking a heavy train from 60 mph?

No, must watch out for one.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

klordger1900 1st July 2010 22:44

I have seen plenty of sparks coming out of the exhausts of crompton 33's and class 25's when working hard so it isnt just steamers to blame!!

Bubblewrap 1st July 2010 22:47

It still boils down to what I said in an earlier post that line side vegetation is not kept under control a good as it used to be.

billr 1st July 2010 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup (Post 49228)
I hope this does not provide an excuse for limitations on steam traction to be imposed!

These limitations are now in place until there is "significant rainfall".
Today's Cathedrals express is a good example of what may be the norm for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1aQCR7o7gY watch and be amazed! :mad:

Dynamo 2nd July 2010 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by klordger1900 (Post 49384)
I have seen plenty of sparks coming out of the exhausts of crompton 33's and class 25's when working hard so it isnt just steamers to blame!!

I've seen sparks come out of 37's, 31's, 20's, 47's, 56's and I've even seen flames come out of a 40's exhausts, but I've never known any of them set fire to track sides. You have to remember that the sparks from diesel loco's are miniscule compared to those that can come from a steam loco's chimney or from out of the ashpan.

Tony 2nd July 2010 20:28

If you care to look at any of the "Then & Now" series of books it is immediately apparent why there are lineside fires. In steam days, lineside fires were an everyday occurrence, so much so that the grass was kept short and brush and trees never had chance to get established. Travel by train now involves passing down a green canyon with trees brushing the sides of the train, in current dry conditions, a recipe for fiery disaster.

John H-T 3rd July 2010 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 49424)
If you care to look at any of the "Then & Now" series of books it is immediately apparent why there are lineside fires. In steam days, lineside fires were an everyday occurrence, so much so that the grass was kept short and brush and trees never had chance to get established. Travel by train now involves passing down a green canyon with trees brushing the sides of the train, in current dry conditions, a recipe for fiery disaster.

It never ceases to amaze me how much the track side environment has changed since the end of steam.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Dynamo 4th July 2010 13:40

There are still a few places where the lineside vegetation is cut back, but its to help with the sighting of signals and to stop leaves getting onto the line rather than trying to avoid lineside fires these days.

klordger1900 4th July 2010 22:32

Shame the sparks wont clear japanese knot weed.

jay 14th July 2010 20:28

On the jacobite services in fort william, we have a 'fire watch' team, they follow about 15 mins behind the train, if there are any fires they are big enough to spot but small enough to be put out with fire beaters.

Another story, on a light engine move and we spotted a lineside fire in the distance, driver pulls out camera and takes a few pics as he knew we would be blamed, when he showed them the pics it was found to have be the freight trains brakes in front of us......

michaelborrill 15th July 2010 15:04

Several years ago steam locos had appearances to Skegness but on one trip numerous lineside fires were started along the line round the Boston and Sleaford areas.
The lack of clearance of growth from the lineside contributed to the incidents which caused an uproar from the fire dept. In Lincolnshire most of the crews are part time retained persons which pushed up the payroll.

Maybe if spark arresters are now fitted another trial could be made but I do not hold my breath!

Michael

jay 15th July 2010 22:14

Spark arrestors have been fitted for quite a while now, and dispite what people may tell you, most sparks come out of the ash pan, not the chimney.