Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Crazy ticketing (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=1395)

signol 27th July 2007 13:28

Crazy ticketing

This morning I bought a ticket, single, from Newmarket to Cheltenham.
National Rail's standard fare showed £46 for an Open ticket, via Not London. Adding in "London" as a via, showed an advance ticket for £21.50, or £28 1st class. On booking, via First Great Western's website (highly impressed with it!) there was an option "slower trains may be cheaper still - click here". Tried it, and got a booked single for £17, for a train taking 10 mins longer!

So moral of the story - cheap tickets exist, but you have to search for them. A tax on the lazy / pressed for time to research prices? ;)

signol

swisstrains 27th July 2007 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by signol (Post 8884)
....................So moral of the story - cheap tickets exist, but you have to search for them. A tax on the lazy / pressed for time to research prices? ;) ...................

It's supposed to be a public transport system. Cheap tickets shouldn't only be available to experienced computer users.:(
I doubt if the booking clerk at old Mrs.Hubbards local station would have bothered to search out a similar fare for her so that she could afford to visit her only surviving relative. ;)

RomeExpress 31st July 2007 09:06

Crazy ticketing all around the world. Listen! It happens that if You want to go from Roma Termini (Central Station) to Ciampino (14Km - 10 miles) the fare is 2 Euros. Now if You want to go from Roma Termini to Frascati (31 Km - 22 miles) the fare is 1,30 Euros! Amazing is that if You want to go to Frascati You've to pass by (and the train stops!!) in Ciampino! :confused: :eek:
Moral of the story: If You want to go to Ciampino at cheap rates, please take a ticket to Frascati! :o

swisstrains 31st July 2007 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomeExpress (Post 9000)
.........................Moral of the story: If You want to go to Ciampino at cheap rates, please take a ticket to Frascati! :o

Interesting story Fabio.
After commuting between Roma and Ciampino for two weeks you will save enough Euros to buy a bottle of Frascati.:D

signol 31st July 2007 11:01

Especially good info if you're on the way to the airport :)

signol

RomeExpress 31st July 2007 11:41

Well, last june after two years and a lot of grievance the ticket fare has been modified. Now it's 1,30 Euros.:)
Suggests:
You have different ways to arrive to Ciampino Airport.
1. By train from Roma Termini Station. Pay attention that Ciampino Station is far from Ciampino Airport and You have to take a taxi (expensive) or a bus (I can't remember how much is for it!).
2. By Te**avision Bus from Roma Termini Station (Via Marsala) it's 8 Euros.
3. By BusShu**le Bus from Roma Termini Station (Via Marsala) it's 6 Euros.
The first choice (by train) is the cheaper, but with effort!!:eek:
The best way seems to be the third choice.;)

RomeExpress 31st July 2007 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 9001)
Interesting story Fabio.
After commuting between Roma and Ciampino for two weeks you will save enough Euros to buy a bottle of Frascati.:D

:D Great!! :D

I think I'll wait four or five weeks and I'll buy a bottle of Falanghina or Greco di Tufo!! ;)

jaigee 9th September 2007 20:36

Virgin's 1st class tickets from Nuneaton to Stafford reverse the policy of advance or day tickets being cheaper:

Value Advance 1st Single A - £25.00
Value Advance 1st Single B - £28.00
Value Advance 1st Single C - £31.50

'Walk-on' 1st Day Single - £15.10!

Also:

First Day Return - £30.40
First Open Return - £28.20!