Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Whats Your favourite Class of Diesel Loco & Why ? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8898)

Wakey spotter 2nd December 2010 18:58

Whats Your favourite Class of Diesel Loco & Why ?

What is Your Favourite Class of Diesel Loco and Why ?

stanboy29 2nd December 2010 19:16

Class 66 7s GBRf. Always immaculately turned out. However someone decided to name 66726 "Sheffield Wednesday". C'mon I ask you, thats a joke surely. hehehehe

John H-T 2nd December 2010 21:47

Class 37, probably the best of the early designs, long lived, good looking, used all over the country, jack of all trades. The Diesel equivilent of the Stanier Black Five!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

markpturner 2nd December 2010 22:03

class 45/46
i spent many a happy hour watching these powerfull locomotives going about there tradein the sheffield area:)

Wakey spotter 2nd December 2010 23:14

Stanboy29 -- Its always nice to see a Lovely Clean well presented Loco. The 66 in all its different colour schemes looks good when clean.
John H-T -- Can`t disagree with any comment there ! Makes sense.
Markpturner -- Oh Yes The Class 45/46 !! Never did anything with Class46 but Loved Driving the Class 45 Mainly Scarboro -Leeds - Manchester & Leeds - Birmingham. Always felt like you were in something as Solid & unsinkable as a Battleship if that makes any sense. Thanks Guys for the comments :)

Jim Christie 2nd December 2010 23:21

26's and 37's.
So many memories of them when I lived in NW Scotland in the 80s, especially the 26's on a Summer evening - you could hear that distinctive 'phut phut phut phut' for miles!
Saying that the 40s would be in for a shout - they were very, very impressive beasts when hammering past you on full power and at high speed. I once heard them described as "overweight, underpowered and built like a tank"!

bramleyman 3rd December 2010 00:58

My Favourite has to be the Class 55 Deltic, as to me they purr like a cat, followed by the 31, 47, then 66. for reasons I know not. As for the 37's, YUK! I saw so much of them from Kings Lynn when their main loco, I began to hate them, as I thought them to be Ugly, plus other areas had many other classes, and to me, Kings Lynn was the last place in the UK to make the change to the class 47's that to me were Far more attractive.

lnwr20 3rd December 2010 10:37

For me lt has to be the classes 37 & 60, both excellent work horses as DB are now find ing out bout the 60's having to bring some of them back as the Yankee 66 can't pull the weight esp out of Robeston on the fuel trains. An as for the 37's the look an sound great the best first generation diesel around an the best multi-purpose loco built.

JEB-245584/2 3rd December 2010 12:10

I'am with Bramleyman on this one with the the Deltic class, if I ever crossed over from being involved with steam to getting involved with diesels it would have to be one of those highly strung machines.
Although if I'am allowed to go slightly of the loco path I would have liked to see a class 124 Trans-Pennine MU set saved, mainly because off childhood memories of them and I think they were of of the best looking dmu's built.

Cheers John

colchesterken 3rd December 2010 14:03

class 52 loved the shape and the peak capped front
they had a great sound and the power to weight was good
pity we did not do more work on hydrolics (spelling) it works for the Germans