Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Stations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Best stations for a relaxing pint (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=10552)

NYM 26th January 2012 08:01

Best stations for a relaxing pint

Had the pleasure of visiting the York Tap recently, what a gem! Great range of drinks and views of the platform.
The same company have the Sheffield Tap and Euston Tap, though you can't view trains from the Euston Tap.

Stalybridge station buffet bar is amazing too.

Any more?

Shimbleshanks 26th January 2012 11:19

No view of the trains, unfortunately, but the Falcon just outside Clapham Junction is one of the best pubs in the area - and literally a half a minute's walk from the exit.

The Home Cottage out the back exit of Redhill station was always good for a quick pint if you had a long connection - though I believe the pub has recently been modernised.

When I were a lad, I always used to like Bangor station buffet in North Wales - you could sit in the bay window on the platform while you waited for your train.

Madcaravanner 26th January 2012 13:25

It's not pubs I want to find out about it's café's and restaurants that are wheelchair friendly but within sight of a mainline

I am hoping to travel around soon so nee somewhere to go

Unfortunately I can no longer take alcohol at all (there a possibility of ending up dead if I do so I don't)

boilersuit 26th January 2012 17:26

I shall be in Chester next month for a short while. Any recommendations for a decent real ale pub near the station?

NYM 26th January 2012 18:00

There are only two pubs in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide for 2012 which are listed within easy walking distance of the station. The Mill Hotel (Milton St, CH1 3NF) and Old Harkers Arms (Russell St, CH3 5AL). Don't think I've been in the latter but I've been to the Mill Hotel a few times but probably over a decade ago. It was very good and still has a great reputation.
Not that I have total faith in the CAMRA GBG but as it says in the title, it is a Guide.

boilersuit 26th January 2012 18:11

Thanks NYM! :)

faltskog36abba 26th January 2012 20:46

i have done the transpennine rail pubs,start off at either manchester piccadilly/victoria stations,stalybridge buffet bar is by far the best rail pub to visit,many a time ive enjoyed a meal and a pint outside watching the trains go by,greenfield too has a pub directly opposite the station[the railway],it too has a small outside area opposite the station,then the marsden brewery tap,located in marsden with a 5 minute walk from the station,then hudderssfield station with 2 bars on the platforms,one full of rail memorabilia[my fave on that station].what i like to do is get a rail ranger[greater manchester]decide on a line and then off you go,with a few friends and a few stops en-route[ie pubs,clitheroe line-bromley cross,was a nice pub opposite[havnt been for a while],manchester liverpool line,newton le willows,nice pub outside station,hadfield/glossop line,a pub on the platform at broadbottom station,i could name many more places i have enjoyed a relaxing pint,a meal,or in the company of friends watching the trains go b.

ianrail 26th January 2012 20:52

It's a long way but there is a bar with a reasonable range of beer and other drinks right on the platform at Aberdeen station (or there was a year or so ago, at least).

Silver Fox Phil 26th January 2012 23:00

The Brunswick Inn at Derby does some great ale's. A typical old railworkers pub and one to visit for sure. Great atmosphere and huge selection of good quality ale.
Out of the railway station turn right and walk past the old railworkers cottages and the Brunswick sits on the corner.
Hope you enjoy if you visit.
Regards
Phil

Signalman 2nd February 2012 09:31

If you are ever passing though Kidderminster there is a great pub situated in the old station there - itīs called the King and Castle - great ale, great scratchings, friendly staff and itīs cheap as well. A proper tradiitonal old railway boozer... but good fun to be had by all!

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs.../Kidderminster

Little bit bias as I was took there as a child, but itīs a big thumbs up in my book. :)