Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Which route is acceptable (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=5613)

gdale1 14th September 2009 17:23

Which route is acceptable

Hi All

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this but I will shortly be travelling from Ramsgate to Blackpool which I normally take the west coast mainline via Euston. My question is will my ticket be valid if I took an alternative route ie up the east coast mainline to York and across to Blackpool or via Birmingham travelling out of London from Marylebone. Many thanks from anybody who can advise.

steam for ever 14th September 2009 17:41

Well online you can set your ticket accordingly.
Quite a lot of tickets have any permitted by the route section.
It might be worth calling the helpline.

martin adamson 14th September 2009 21:38

Yeah just looked on National Rail Enquiries and they show a valid route via York. I imagine with an Anytime ticket you should be allowed access on both of those routes.

hairyhandedfool 15th September 2009 09:14

The National Routeing guide shows that a Ramsgate - Blackpool ticket is valid via Marlyebone, Paddington, Euston or St Pancras (as far as Sheffield).

IT IS NOT VALID VIA THE EAST COAST MAINLINE.

The National Rail Enquiries site shows that more than one ticket may be needed for travel via york

martin adamson 15th September 2009 11:15

So it is, no 91's allowed then ;) .

gdale1 15th September 2009 16:01

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I have tried to get my head around this National routing guide and I have come up with routes of LM and LR which appears to me that I have to travel to Victoria and then from Euston via Birmingham or Manchester or direct to Preston, am I doing something wrong.

steam for ever 15th September 2009 16:46

Hmm.
Try to root out a couple of timetables from stations or online to actually look at the trains you want.

They usually will have them at the booking office or you could try a few operators websites.

swisstrains 15th September 2009 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdale1 (Post 32316)
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. I have tried to get my head around this National routing guide and I have come up with routes of LM and LR which appears to me that I have to travel to Victoria and then from Euston via Birmingham or Manchester or direct to Preston, am I doing something wrong.

If you are doing something wrong then so am I. That's how I understand it. :(
Perhaps Hairy can elaborate and explain how he gets the other routes?

hairyhandedfool 16th September 2009 07:50

The Routeing Guide does indeed allow for maps LM and LR, however Ramsgate to Blackpool also brings up "London". In this case you use the routes form Ramsgate to London and London to Blackpool.

swisstrains 16th September 2009 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool (Post 32358)
The Routeing Guide does indeed allow for maps LM and LR, however Ramsgate to Blackpool also brings up "London". In this case you use the routes form Ramsgate to London and London to Blackpool.

Thanks for that Hairy.
I have now managed to find it in the Routing Guide instructions.