Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Freight around London area (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=4704)

gdale1 17th May 2009 13:05

Freight around London area

Can anybody please advise the busiest freight lines in and around London. I have visited Stratford and Barking but I am sure there must be better and busier vantage points. I can only travel by tube or train so any car journeys required are out. Many thanks to everyone who replies.

markb846 20th May 2009 09:55

There is a fair bit of freight moving on the WCML in the evenings. There is a foot bridge that crosses the main line at Willesden Junction. There are normally a few people hanging around with cameras. I think from this point you can see trains on both the main line, and on the North London. Most trains are hauled by 66's as the AC goods line is closed on the NLL.
Electric hauled freight can be seen North of Wembly. EWS locos can be seen stabled in the yard at wembly from main line out of Euston. [the DC line goes the wrong side of the yard.]
Hope that this may be helpful

gdale1 20th May 2009 11:39

Cheers for that and thanks for taking the time to reply

danphi11ips 20th May 2009 17:32

There is a Bridge after South Kenton station which is on the wcml and a few stops from Willesden. I normally do both in a day. You can see quite a lot of freight plus all the trains going in and out of Wembley Depot.

The footbridge is in the middle of a field north from the station, you can get a good view both ways.

Dan

gdale1 20th May 2009 18:23

Thanks Dan I will have a look, if possible can you advise how far it is to walk to the bridge from South Kenton station as the old knees dont work as good as they use to. Many thanks Graham

danphi11ips 20th May 2009 19:18

It took me around 10 mins. All you do is go down the stairs at the staion into a subway then turn left then right and you willl see a feild. Just walk through the feild and you will see the bridge.(The bridge can be seen from the station)

gdale1 20th May 2009 19:48

Thanks for the info Dan I will give it a try in the next couple of weeks.

gdale1 4th June 2009 17:16

How do you get to the footbridge at Willesden is it near the road bridge ouside the station

danphi11ips 4th June 2009 20:51

Right outside the station, Walk out the main exit and look left and you will see Alson Traincare depot. The footbridge is at the entrance of the depot, just past the rail bridge which can be seen from the station
Hope this helps

Dan

markb846 4th June 2009 22:39

Be careful, as there are 2 exits at Willesden Junction. Take the Old Lane exit, walk under the NNL and the bridge should be on your right, sign posted Hythe Road footpath.
While in the area you could try going to Old Oak Common lane, which runs along side the NLL. and the lines that go from Wells House juction to both Cricklewood, and the WCML. Not too sure what is the best time to go there these days.
this is about a 5/10 min walk from Willesden juction, or you can take bus 228 from the main road turn right at the end of the station drive, and get off at Old Oak common railway depots about 2 stops
A word of warning the old EWS yard is now completely empty