Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Light Rail and Metros (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tram expansion in Nottingham (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=13522)

Silver Fox Phil 30th July 2014 14:18

Tram expansion in Nottingham

This could be good news re the increasing interest in expanding the tram system in and around Nottingham
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-28558493

I believe it can only bring a much needed alternative to cars and busses.
I just wish they would take a line through to Derby City centre too.
Now that would be great!!
Cheers
Phil:)

Master Cutler 30th July 2014 20:56

If the new route follows the old railway line, construction and upheaval costs will be kept to a minimum.

pbowler 31st July 2014 08:13

A lot of people are complaining about the inconvenience the tram works are causing but when its done it will be a fantastic system, when the wife and myself go into Nottingham we wouldn't think of going in the car we drive to Phoenix Park tram stop it's the only way, ever tried to park in Nottingham on a working day? I hope they do extend from Phoenix Park to Kimberley, it would be even better for us. I'd like to see it run all the way from Nottingham to Ripley which was the longest tram run in the country in the early 20th centuary, once they get to Kimberley they're half way there!

Silver Fox Phil 2nd August 2014 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbowler (Post 81402)
A lot of people are complaining about the inconvenience the tram works are causing but when its done it will be a fantastic system, when the wife and myself go into Nottingham we wouldn't think of going in the car we drive to Phoenix Park tram stop it's the only way, ever tried to park in Nottingham on a working day? I hope they do extend from Phoenix Park to Kimberley, it would be even better for us. I'd like to see it run all the way from Nottingham to Ripley which was the longest tram run in the country in the early 20th centuary, once they get to Kimberley they're half way there!

Parking in any city is becoming a prohibitive expensive business. How short sighted it was to rip up and dismantle what we once had! Now it's being put back and we can be thankful for that
Cheers
Phil

pbowler 2nd August 2014 17:24

That's true Phil, I live in the sticks but I love going to Nottingham it's a nice compact city centre and the pedestrianised part of it is a joy to be in, Clumber Street Bridlesmith Gate, Market Square etc, and when we go in by tram as we always do its free and not to mention not having to find a parking space, its great.

wyvern 3rd August 2014 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbowler (Post 81402)
I'd like to see it run all the way from Nottingham to Ripley which was the longest tram run in the country in the early 20th centuary, once they get to Kimberley they're half way there!

The Ripley Rattler eh?

D H Lawrence wrote about it; "There is in the North a single-line system of tramcars which boldly leaves the county town and plunges off into the black, industrial countryside . . . . . This, the most dangerous tram-service in England, as the authorities themselves declare, with pride, is entirely conducted by girls, and driven by rash young men, or else by invalids who creep forward in terror."

As for reaching Derby - too damn slow. Tramtrain perhaps along the old GNR alignment?

pbowler 3rd August 2014 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyvern (Post 81455)
The Ripley Rattler eh?

D H Lawrence wrote about it; "There is in the North a single-line system of tramcars which boldly leaves the county town and plunges off into the black, industrial countryside . . . . . This, the most dangerous tram-service in England, as the authorities themselves declare, with pride, is entirely conducted by girls, and driven by rash young men, or else by invalids who creep forward in terror."

As for reaching Derby - too damn slow. Tramtrain perhaps along the old GNR alignment?

Be nice if they used Bennerley Viaduct if the old GN was used wouldn't it wyvern.