Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway Modelling (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Here we go again! (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7233)

western52 22nd March 2010 16:39

Here we go again!

Hi everybody,

I am yet again redesigning a layout, as ordered by my 10 year old son, he's moved into a bigger bedroom - and - guess what - he wants a bigger layout.
After 2 years working on the present one it's back to the drawing board. from a simple 2-oval 7-siding layout, he wants two-ovals and 12 sidings.
The board is already constructed and and track loosely laid out.
His old board was a straightforward 4x6, but the new one is an L-shape measuring 6 feet x 8 feet x 4feet x 2 feet (does this make sense to anyone?)
Have used all his old track but need some for most of the sidings.
Does anyone have any ideas how to make it look busy without compromising on scenery?

Gordon 22nd March 2010 16:48

There's a cracking layout in the current edition of Model Rail magazine, not sure of the exact size, but it packs a lot of track into a relatively small space, but doesn't compromise on scenery, and looks really good.

western52 22nd March 2010 16:55

Thanks Gordon
Will take a look if the mrs will let me!

redudley 23rd March 2010 15:21

here we go again

have you had a look at some of the layouts in the gallery in model railways on this forum

western52 26th March 2010 20:00

Yes I have - Have decided to go for a dog-leg outer line and standard oval for the inner.
We have put a branch line (Siding) which will eventually house a good depot and a short siding which hopefully house a small engine shed.
Also we have four sidings off either side of the inner main - just about enough to house all our rolling stock (maybe there will be room for a few additions).

Track laid - but only outer main line pinned at the moment - need to get some points to finish sidings on inner - main then that will be done.
Have already pencilled in the roads and fences on the board - easier than trying to scale everything on paper.
Have drawn track layout on plain A4 paper - then used tracing paper over the top for scenic detailing plans.

western52 30th March 2010 19:41

Hello

Thanks to my son Bill, after persuading mum what a good idea it was, I have altered the layout board again, filling in the empty corner and turning the whole thing into a sensible 8x6 ft board.
Plans are to increase the size of the main running lines and add more sidings and make the town area bigger and busier. Quite a straightforward task as this change in size and shape coincided with our wardrobe collapsing - leaving some good size wood available for the new top.

Oh well - back to work (Fun:):):))

Jim

western52 9th April 2010 18:20

Hi

Just popped in to let you know that there has been no movement on thre layout in the last week or so, hope to be doing more in the next couple of weeks. Bill is getting impatient again, oh anything for a quiet life

Jim

craw 9th April 2010 22:48

Hello Jim
They say patience is a virtue but try telling a youngster that.
Especially if it is to do with starting a model train layout.
John

Mendipman319 14th April 2010 09:09

hehe i remember when i was the one saying to my dad I WANT A BIGGER RAILWAY! If you like you are welcome to buy some of my old hornby stuff for sale in the For Sale/Wanted section.