Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Diesel & Electric Discussion (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Replacement of 142, 143 and 144? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=893)

Folos 2nd February 2007 17:58

Replacement of 142, 143 and 144?

As an almost daily traveller of the now almost 1/4 of a century old 14X series (namely 142/143 on ATW) i'd love to known when they're being replaced - and possibly what with?

I can't think of any current DMUs suited more perfectly than the 142/143/150 used on south wales commuter lines, so what would fit the bill and when would you more informed folk expect they will be replaced? (I read somewhere that they could be in service for another 10 years!)

swisstrains 2nd February 2007 21:12

Hello Folios,
I don't know the answer to your question but do you think they need to be replaced?
I know that many people don't like them but as an occasional traveller on "Northern Trains" 142's I find them quite acceptable for short stop/start journeys.
Like you, I would be interested to know what plans there are to replace them......if any!!

Folos 4th February 2007 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 5999)
Hello Folios,
I don't know the answer to your question but do you think they need to be replaced?
I know that many people don't like them but as an occasional traveller on "Northern Trains" 142's I find them quite acceptable for short stop/start journeys.
Like you, I would be interested to know what plans there are to replace them......if any!!

They're alright for the city line/coryton line (I live a two minute walk away from Danescourt station, so it's only about a 10 minute ride into central) - but at the other end of the spectrum as I mentioned in another post, the other week they used a 142 that shouldn't have been in service from cardiff to maesteg.

After Bridgend the track goes onto the maesteg branch line, and part of that track is of terrible quality.. the bumps can be felt quite strongly even in a 158, and to ride that track in a 142 quite frankly felt dangerous, all in all it's not that I feel they need to be replaced right now but when would you more knowledgeable rail enthusiasts think they would be replaced and with what?

swisstrains 4th February 2007 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folos (Post 6017)
......................After Bridgend the track goes onto the maesteg branch line, and part of that track is of terrible quality.. the bumps can be felt quite strongly even in a 158, and to ride that track in a 142 quite frankly felt dangerous, .......................

Yes,
When I said that the 142's were acceptable for short journeys I should have added "on good track":)

James60059 7th February 2007 07:38

Class 142/144

I remember going back a few years now, just before the summer session of loco haulage commenced in 2002

ATW decided to roster a "Pacer" on the 1205 Swansea - Fishguard Harbour, how everyone got on I don't know but I found it to be very comical, going up the incline out of Swansea and also on the single track section from Clarbeston Road to Fishguard Harbour which was then bolted track (don't know if its still is :confused: )

Still I must have been the only passenger with a smile after being on it for nearly an hour and a half :D

Best Wishes

James

Folos 7th February 2007 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by James60059 (Post 6093)
I remember going back a few years now, just before the summer session of loco haulage commenced in 2002

ATW decided to roster a "Pacer" on the 1205 Swansea - Fishguard Harbour, how everyone got on I don't know but I found it to be very comical, going up the incline out of Swansea and also on the single track section from Clarbeston Road to Fishguard Harbour which was then bolted track (don't know if its still is :confused: )

Still I must have been the only passenger with a smile after being on it for nearly an hour and a half :D

Best Wishes

James

They had a 142 from Cardiff to Swansea the other night, was absolutely packed to the rafters (was 5.30pm).. on leaving central my train (city line) ran along side it for about a minute and they didn't look like happy bunnies :rolleyes:

martin adamson 9th February 2007 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folos (Post 6095)
They had a 142 from Cardiff to Swansea the other night, was absolutely packed to the rafters (was 5.30pm).. on leaving central my train (city line) ran along side it for about a minute and they didn't look like happy bunnies :rolleyes:

I have been in a similar situation myself, this is usual coming in and out of Manchester, I was arriving on a not so busy pendolino into Piccadilly, and as some of you will know the VT services use platforms 5 to 8 usually, and the Norhtern rail terminating serviuces use platforms 1 to 4, so arriving beside us was a 142 that looked quite busy, Im pretty sure there were people standing.

Remember this happening another time on a 390 when it was 'racing' against a 185 into Piccadilly.

Folos 10th February 2007 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by David A Hicks (Post 6146)
I have been in a similar situation myself, this is usual coming in and out of Manchester, I was arriving on a not so busy pendolino into Piccadilly, and as some of you will know the VT services use platforms 5 to 8 usually, and the Norhtern rail terminating serviuces use platforms 1 to 4, so arriving beside us was a 142 that looked quite busy, Im pretty sure there were people standing.

Remember this happening another time on a 390 when it was 'racing' against a 185 into Piccadilly.

Actually I discovered today that the ATW service to Swansea only is normally operated by a 153 (went on the 15:14 one today), so it wouldn't have made much of a difference :rolleyes:

222007 11th February 2007 21:04

I had seen it reported that Arriva were looking at class 170's with a lower gear ratio and probable 3+2 seating. This could work i think. Or how abouts a siemans product - fair enough the 185's are extremely heavy but surely something simular and lighter could be produced for ATW Northern and FGW?

Folos 21st February 2007 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222007 (Post 6168)
I had seen it reported that Arriva were looking at class 170's with a lower gear ratio and probable 3+2 seating. This could work i think. Or how abouts a siemans product - fair enough the 185's are extremely heavy but surely something simular and lighter could be produced for ATW Northern and FGW?

Found it on wikipedia -

Quote:

Most Pacers are over 20 years old, with some over 25 years. Train Operating Companies (TOCs) are researching ways of trying to replace the Pacer, although little progress has yet been made. Northern Rail has said it would replace Pacers with Chinese lightweight trains. Arriva Trains Wales announced in early 2006 that it would replace Pacers by 'displacing' its fleet with Class 170 Turbostar trains, although nothing has been ordered. It looks possible that Pacer trains could be in operation for at least another decade.
British Rail diesel multiple units

martin adamson 22nd February 2007 10:21

At the end of the day it's down to cost too. There are a bunch of ex Wessex 158s being stored somewhere, why not bive ATW these as replacements? Because it costs more than the pacers. They will hav to find something that is cost efficient. They could do the FGW idea and have capacity efficient seating e.g. more airline seats, but I this may prove unpopular with passenmgers, but the 142s don't have tables. Perhaps using this idea with the stored 158s or having the 3+2 seating idea might work here.

swisstrains 21st March 2007 10:01

At a meeting on 3/3/2007 a spokesman for Arriva Trains Wales said:

..........An additional 9 class 150s were due for delivery in Nov 07 for use in South Wales with platform extensions to be provided on the Valley lines.

I don't know if the 150's are intended as a partial replacement for the 14X's or in addition to.:confused:

Folos 21st March 2007 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 6831)
At a meeting on 3/3/2007 a spokesman for Arriva Trains Wales said:

..........An additional 9 class 150s were due for delivery in Nov 07 for use in South Wales with platform extensions to be provided on the Valley lines.

I don't know if the 150's are intended as a partial replacement for the 14X's or in addition to.:confused:

Platform extensions are already done, and ATW are already using 9x ex FGW (wessex trains "Visit xxxxxx" liveries - maroon/postcard photographs) on all current services bar the long distance ones.

swisstrains 21st March 2007 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Folos (Post 6838)
Platform extensions are already done, and ATW are already using 9x ex FGW (wessex trains "Visit xxxxxx" liveries - maroon/postcard photographs) on all current services bar the long distance ones.

In that case.......Either you are getting 9 more 150's next November or the Arriva spokesman is a bit behind the times.:)

Folos 22nd March 2007 17:47

haha, perhaps.. perhaps.

If you wondered what a 142 was like on corners - I made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcuFgaxUdQA

swisstrains 22nd March 2007 19:06

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Folos (Post 6848)
haha, perhaps.. perhaps.

If you wondered what a 142 was like on corners - I made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcuFgaxUdQA

If I close my eyes I can almost imagine being on a Swiss metre gauge train threading
it's way through the spiral tunnels in the mountains. Attachment 128

222007 26th March 2007 08:36

Northern have started to replace there 142's with 158's.Its reported there recieving 30 158's with 24 142's going into warm store at Heaton depot

swisstrains 26th March 2007 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222007 (Post 6880)
Northern have started to replace there 142's with 158's.Its reported there recieving 30 158's with 24 142's going into warm store at Heaton depot

Thanks for that 222007. It helps explain why I saw a Northern service (normally a 142) being worked by a 158 in Arriva livery on Saturday.
Obviously Arriva Trains Wales didn't consider their own excess 158's to be suitable replacements for their 142's...............or are 150's just cheaper?:D

222007 27th March 2007 19:49

For anyone interested there's a website that will tell you which unit is allocated to which company and its status

http://www.thejunction.org.uk/

Folos 29th March 2007 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 6840)
In that case.......Either you are getting 9 more 150's next November or the Arriva spokesman is a bit behind the times.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdare_railway_station - Says there that work has been completed on extending the platform, as have all other stations on the valley lines. Quite often two 150s in multiple are used on valley lines services.. and if the platforms weren't extended then they couldn't :)

As to the 9 150s, quite possibly.. I made a mistake - it was only 8.

Quote:

On 10 December 2006, ATW received 8 Class 150s from First Great Western due to a reduction in their DMU stock, these being sets: 150230/236/240/241/242/251/253/254.

* 4 will operate on the Borderlands Line (Wrexham Central-Bidston)
* 4 will enter service on South Wales valley routes for use on the restored Ebbw Valley Line from summer 2007
That information isn't correct as the ebbw valley line won't be ready, and they are using the 150s on all services except for those west/north of Swansea, and up to Manchester (and beyond) except that it is 8 150s and not nine.

hstudent 29th May 2007 14:01

According to Wikipedia Northern Rail and Arriva Wales are the only train operators that still use Pacer 142s, with Arriva Wales only having very few trains.

If are on a 142 between Navigation Rd and Stockport you need earplugs from the amount of noise they make when they go over 60mph.

Northern Rail are apparently now planning to replace SOME 142s with 158s formly used by Transpennine Express or Central Trains.

hstudent 29th May 2007 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 6882)
Thanks for that 222007. It helps explain why I saw a Northern service (normally a 142) being worked by a 158 in Arriva livery on Saturday.
Obviously Arriva Trains Wales didn't consider their own excess 158's to be suitable replacements for their 142's...............or are 150's just cheaper?:D

Slightly less than half of Northern Rail's trains used to be operated by the 'Arriva Trains Northern' franchisee and they haven't bothered to repaint the trains. So the train was probably not a former Arriva Trains Wales service.

On a similar topic, I am annoyed that the 175s perviously operated by First North Western all went to Arriva Trains Wales when they redid the franchisses. They've even left most of them in First North Western's dark blue colour!

swisstrains 29th May 2007 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by hstudent (Post 7856)
Slightly less than half of Northern Rail's trains used to be operated by the 'Arriva Trains Northern' franchisee and they haven't bothered to repaint the trains. So the train was probably not a former Arriva Trains Wales service.

The train was a former First North Western service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hstudent (Post 7856)
On a similar topic, I am annoyed that the 175s perviously operated by First North Western all went to Arriva Trains Wales when they redid the franchisses. They've even left most of them in First North Western's dark blue colour!

If it wasn't for the 175's Arriva Trains Wales wouldn't have a decent train.:D

LesG 29th May 2007 20:19

Having just caught this thread,

All I will say is this, I trained as a driver with the Cardiff Railway Company and I worked the valley lines for the next three years and I don't think the
14X series should be on the tracks at all.
From a drivers point of view they are the worst unit I have ever driven but as has been said they are ok on long welded rail but an absolute garbage ride on the short sections.

Les

GWR9600 29th May 2007 21:26

It will never happen as they are cheap to run and maintain. They would have been replaced if that Wilmslow crash a few years back had involved passengers as the loss of life would have been horific.

hstudent 1st June 2007 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 7860)
The train was a former First North Western service.

Northern Rail use former Arriva Trains Northern trains on former First North Western routes. One train which I usually catch (a train from St Annes on Sea to Greenbank arriving 09:14) it quite often consists of a 2 carriage former First North Western train attached to a 2 carriage former Arriva Trains Northern train.

hstudent 1st June 2007 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 6019)
Yes,
When I said that the 142's were acceptable for short journeys I should have added "on good track":)

What do you actually define as a short journey? There are routes like Doncaster to Adwick where the total journey duration is under 15 minutes, while there are other journeys defined as local e.g. Chester to Manchester via Altrincham where the journey takes about 90 minutes, which is defined as a local route but 90 minutes would be a long time to spend travelling on a 142.

222007 1st June 2007 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hstudent (Post 7855)
According to Wikipedia Northern Rail and Arriva Wales are the only train operators that still use Pacer 142s, with Arriva Wales only having very few trains..

Sorry going to have to correct you there First Great Western (FGW) also have a limited number of the units also

chapelon 1st June 2007 20:49

I absolutely detest any of the 14x series as a former guard at Leeds and Harrogate I had my fill of them all in the early 1990's they are long overdue replacement and were a step backwards from the conventional DMU's they replaced the sooner in the scrapyard the better, what an embarrasment they are if any of my colleagues from other European railways ride on them let alone see them.
A class 31 and 4 mkII's is a much better quality train .

Folos 3rd June 2007 18:54

Arriva occasionally use them on the "swanline", the service which stops at every station on the line from Cardiff to Swansea, on a 153 that takes about 75 minutes so really wouldn't appreciate being on a 142 for that long.

The longest journey i've been on a 142 was from Cardiff to Maesteg as there was a signalling failure at severn tunnel junction so the train from gloucester was delayed.. unfortunately this 142 apparently couldn't go above second gear so all in all it took far longer than it should have.

They're really not much fun to ride when at full capacity (or more) at rush hour.. bring back the class 37 hauled trains!

(off topic, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GwOzaUZ_ZE is a video of a class 37 going through my local station.. about 2 minutes walk away)

hstudent 5th June 2007 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 222007 (Post 7896)
Sorry going to have to correct you there First Great Western (FGW) also have a limited number of the units also

From what's stated on Wikipedia which I know may not be 100% accurate First Great Western have 7 Pacer 143s but no 142s

hstudent 5th June 2007 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by David A Hicks (Post 6146)
=the Norhtern rail terminating serviuces use platforms 1 to 4, so arriving beside us was a 142 that looked quite busy, Im pretty sure there were people standing

Northern Rail normally use platforms 11 and 12 for diesels. Electric trains have to obviously use platforms with overhead wires. Transpennine Express normally use the lower number platforms.

HORNEBEE DUBLO 28th August 2007 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapelon (Post 7899)
I absolutely detest any of the 14x series as a former guard at Leeds and Harrogate I had my fill of them all in the early 1990's they are long overdue replacement and were a step backwards from the conventional DMU's they replaced the sooner in the scrapyard the better, what an embarrasment they are if any of my colleagues from other European railways ride on them let alone see them.
A class 31 and 4 mkII's is a much better quality train .

I would have to strongly disagree with the above statement. During the early 1980s I regularly travelled on first generation DMUs. I have travelled on most classes except the class 124s. With the exception of class 110s the acceleration on them was hopeless, the ride quality was appalling and a ride on a 104 was like bleakhouse! Despite all the problems when first introduced I viewed the introduction of the Pacers as a welcome relief!

It is also worth pointing out that other European countries do have railbuses, although the Czech railways recently rebuilt some of their DMUs with bogies.

222007 28th August 2007 21:10

Apparently the pacers are due to be around untill at least 2012