Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   On-track Machinery (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Railway Sleepers (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=1663)

Shed Cat 17th October 2007 21:01

Railway Sleepers

Now this thread is so sad I can't find anywhere else to put it. :p

I was recently at a preserved railway line in the South (no names) and I was looking at their new track that was in use for passenger trains, and guessed that their sleeper spacing had been stretched to at least 3' apart. It looked a bit odd.

What, I wondered, is the "correct" or standard sleeper spacing? Does it depend on rail weight, line speed, degree of curvature of the track, etc

I have just spent an hour on google and know a lot about garden design with second hand railway sleepers, but nothing about track design. I have tried search words such as sleepers and ties, track and permanent way but cant find a clue other than a hint that timber sleepers could be 2' apart.

John H-T 17th October 2007 22:12

On the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway we have a spacer for use when laying out sleepers to relay track. 2' seems about right but I can measure it for you next time I am at Wirksworth.

Incidently The EVR's new website was launched today at www.e-v-r.com

Arthur Maunsell 18th October 2007 07:13

tell me about garden design....had a long and tedious argeument with the landscaper and wife about laying the sleepers flat...ie the proper way....I lost...:mad: (i wante bits of steel bolted to them.....

John H-T 18th October 2007 11:28

The four old ones (ex EVR) I have in my garden I have planted on edge and dug them in so that they are held together.

Ian White 18th October 2007 16:14

Should be about 26 to 28 sleepers to 60 ft of rail if bullhead,about 28 if flatbottom rails.
Only thing that will change that is line speed.
hope that helps
All the best,Ian.

submarine 12th November 2007 20:06

Surely axle load is the determining factor. Some American lines are down to
16" now to carry 35 ton axle loads.

vikasgoyal_dce 2nd October 2008 19:32

For determinig railway sleeper spacing one of the factor is Axle load.
ALong with this we have to take into account the dynamic load thats going to come on sleeper, Type of Sleepers etc
In Indian Railways Sleeper spacing for PSC sleepers on Broad Gauge is kept 60 cm for 52/60 kg rails

locojoe 2nd October 2008 20:35

I've noticed when walking along the sleepers the spaces between sleepers is not always uniform. Thinking back I think the space between sleepers was about 2 feet average.

DSY011 2nd October 2008 20:41

Mainline wooden sleepers on the Rhodesian Railways were set 2 foot apart. Concrete sleepers were about 18 inches apart. Steel sleepers were used where there was a problem with termites eating the wooden sleepers, other wise steel was only used in shunting yard and spurs.

klordger1900 22nd June 2010 22:19

Whilst I was travelling to Liverpool recently I noticed piles and piles of steel sleepers in a lineside yard between Stafford and Crewe - does anyone know where these are used, is it in freight sidings as suggested on this thread?

boilersuit 23rd June 2010 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by locojoe (Post 19688)
I've noticed when walking along the sleepers the spaces between sleepers is not always uniform.

That's true. Although the spacing is uniform for the most part, the sleepers are slightly closer together in the region of the fishplates in order to give extra support to the most vulnerable part of the rail.

Ploughman 24th June 2010 17:13

Sleeper spacings
Bullhead used to be commonly laid at 24 per 60ft length or about 750mm.
Closer together over the 4 sleepers at each end of the panel.
On CWR track minimum spacing is 26 / length or 700mm.
General relays now are at 650mm or 28 / L
Heavy traffic routes and steel sleepers are laid at 30 / L or 600mm spacing

klordger1900 24th June 2010 21:30

Exactly where are steel sleepers used does anybody know?

Ploughman 26th June 2010 18:38

Anywhere Network Rail feels like putting them.
They are used to my knowledge on all areas except those with 3rd rail.
Overhead electrification does not pose a problem.
Not normally used on the high speed main lines but are found on the slow lines alongside.
Many branches in the North West and North East have had many miles of them installed.
I was involved in laying about 25 miles of them on the Hull _ Seamer line over about 4 years.

klordger1900 26th June 2010 20:26

Thanks Bryan - is that the new direction for railway building in the future (I expect they are cheap from India?) I shall keep my eyes open and see if I can spot any in situ.
Are they flat or ribbed and does fettling getting more difficult?

Ploughman 27th June 2010 17:49

Sleepers used to be imported from US but more recently have been produced in UK by CORUS.
Steels are flat across between the rails then curve down into the ballast about a foot outside the rails.
Once the hollow of the underside (Its shaped like a flat topped U section but upside down) is bedded into the ballast they don't need much attention.

wyvern 29th June 2010 20:35

As I understand it steels are used where the traffic is light and the under surface is sound so they then can be laid without redoing the ballast.

48111 4th July 2010 06:16

I have got in my garden 4 railway sleepers, old wooden ones and the fishplate marks are still on them you can clearly make out how they were placed for the rails.
But I tried moving one a few weeks ago.....not a good idea, they "aint half" heavy, my pacemaker worked overtime (keep going you fool:D).
I dont know what to do with them, they are stacked neatly though, my son in law and his mate stacked them for me and they made them sweat.

klordger1900 4th July 2010 09:39

I know blokes who can lift them on their own - but it should take 4 men (H&S) using steel grips which are equally heavy. Trouble is there are hardwood and softwood sleepers. The softwood rot easily and can be very light, the hardwood are solid and extremely heavy and its impossible to tell which is which until you lift one. These sound like hardwood so could be worth selling on if you dont need them. If you do then they will last forever!!

John H-T 4th July 2010 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by klordger1900 (Post 49519)
I know blokes who can lift them on their own - but it should take 4 men (H&S) using steel grips which are equally heavy. Trouble is there are hardwood and softwood sleepers. The softwood rot easily and can be very light, the hardwood are solid and extremely heavy and its impossible to tell which is which until you lift one. These sound like hardwood so could be worth selling on if you dont need them. If you do then they will last forever!!

There is another problem with hardwood sleepers: drilling the holes in them. We have to double drill them and it is still hard work hammering in the spikes! We also get through a lot of drill bits!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

48111 5th July 2010 05:52

Well chaps, these old sleepers in my garden are absolutely solid and very heavy.
They are obviously very old, but how they have lasted over the years is amazing, something funnily enough that you dont think a lot about when you are working on the railway and riding over them every day. But when you come to own a few and look at how solid they are, well you appreciate their strength.

Bubblewrap 5th July 2010 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 49595)
Well chaps, these old sleepers in my garden are absolutely solid and very heavy.
They are obviously very old, but how they have lasted over the years is amazing, something funnily enough that you dont think a lot about when you are working on the railway and riding over them every day. But when you come to own a few and look at how solid they are, well you appreciate their strength.

Hi 48111 where can I acquire some "old" sleepers "free" for my allotment I could use about 10. For the compost/manure heaps
I have seen new ones for sale but at £15 each ??????

This may be of interest.
http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/12-linind/railway.htm

48111 5th July 2010 06:13

Morning mate, well I doubt you will get any free, I acquired the ones I have when I moved here, but I have never bothered with them until recently because I wanted to put up a new greenhouse.

People who sell these things seem to be "cashing in" on them, they can be expensive, there is no doubt about that.

They do sell on e bay apparently, but even there the prices are dear.

John H-T 5th July 2010 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblewrap (Post 49599)
Hi 48111 where can I acquire some "old" sleepers "free" for my allotment I could use about 10. For the compost/manure heaps
I have seen new ones for sale but at £15 each ??????

This may be of interest.
http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/12-linind/railway.htm

The EVR have quite a few second hand sleepers for sale at much less than £15. Biggest problem is transport. As has already been said sleepers are heavy - ten will need at least a large van/pick up.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Bubblewrap 5th July 2010 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by John H-T (Post 49604)
The EVR have quite a few second hand sleepers for sale at much less than £15. Biggest problem is transport. As has already been said sleepers are heavy - ten will need at least a large van/pick up.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Only got a Peugeot 106 & it belongs to the OH & she is very wary of what goes in the back.

pre65 5th July 2010 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblewrap (Post 49605)
Only got a Peugeot 106 & it belongs to the OH & she is very wary of what goes in the back.

If you were not quite so far away I would offer to pick them up for you in my big van.:D

Bubblewrap 5th July 2010 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 49606)
If you were not quite so far away I would offer to pick them up for you in my big van.:D

Thanks mate it's only a dream my heaps are made of old pallets got for free from skips.

pre65 5th July 2010 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblewrap (Post 49607)
Thanks mate it's only a dream my heaps are made of old pallets got for free from skips.

Most of my winter firewood is old pallets from a mates motorcycle shop.

Although I will now get the winter fuel allowance this winter.:D

Ploughman 5th July 2010 18:11

From a railway component weight chart. New material.
Hardwood sleepers - 92kg
Softwood sleepers - 54kg

Bubblewrap 5th July 2010 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by John H-T (Post 49581)
There is another problem with hardwood sleepers: drilling the holes in them. We have to double drill them and it is still hard work hammering in the spikes! We also get through a lot of drill bits!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Surely there's a machine that would drill four holes at once the railway companies would have had one.

Ploughman 5th July 2010 20:44

Slight problem with that statement.
The Railway companies did have multihead drilling machines but they also had a lot of sleepers to drill and more money available to invest in such equipment.
Even then they still occaisionally had to hand drill the fastening holes.
At least we have progressed to using powertools capable of doing the job.
Have you ever tried drilling a hardwood sleeper let alone drilling the holes for a complete pointwork layout?

Bubblewrap 5th July 2010 20:51

I just thought one of the rail companies would have an old drill/machine surplus to requirements.
Would this help?
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/...patterns-15794

klordger1900 5th July 2010 22:42

Old machines are just that - old. They leak both oil and fumes and are fierce to use for too long. Dont forget the ear covers and make sure your back is in best shape before attempting this manouver. As for points - its always best to watch someone else do it!!

48111 9th July 2010 12:21

I have been looking around at advertisements for railway sleepers, not that I want any, but it was out of interest. The ones I have inheritated are a "pain in the wotsit" so I dont want any more.

But why are they so expensive ?

John H-T 9th July 2010 12:45

I understand that new hard wood sleepers are £45 each. Then of course there is the cost of drill bits!

Our problem at Wirksworth is that our speed of relaying is now outstripping our supplyer's ability to source them form Network Rail!

Incidently we only drill three holes in each baseplate: two on the inside and one on the outside.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

John H-T 9th July 2010 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubblewrap (Post 49653)
I just thought one of the rail companies would have an old drill/machine surplus to requirements.
Would this help?
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/...patterns-15794

Wonder how much they cost and what delivery is like? Nothing and delivered tomorrow would be favourite!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

48111 9th July 2010 12:48

Well John, like I said, why are they so expensive ?

John H-T 9th July 2010 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 49876)
Well John, like I said, why are they so expensive ?

No idea 48111. The ones we use are reclaimed from Network Rail and I think we pay about £12-15. That may include delivery, which is a not insignificant cost!

We sell our Garden Quality Sleepers for £5 - buyer collects.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

John H-T 9th July 2010 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploughman (Post 49650)
Slight problem with that statement.
The Railway companies did have multihead drilling machines but they also had a lot of sleepers to drill and more money available to invest in such equipment.
Even then they still occaisionally had to hand drill the fastening holes.
At least we have progressed to using powertools capable of doing the job.
Have you ever tried drilling a hardwood sleeper let alone drilling the holes for a complete pointwork layout?

Tell me about it! We have electric drills powered by a generator - we like soft wood sleepers and we will not be around when they need changing. Our successors will probably relay the whole line on concretes eventually!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

48111 9th July 2010 12:58

Ok mate, are you keeping ok ?

The ones I have got stacked in my garden are like I said somewhere else in this thread, old ones but still solid, the place where the fishplates were fixed can still be clearly seen.

But they are in my way, and they are so heavy,"bloomin eck" I cant lift one. I might have had a go twenty years ago but not now.

Anyway It looks like I am going to have to work round them, because I dont really want to get rid of them, they have obviously seen some railway service somewhere, and I bet they had some steam engines over them.

Silly old sod "aint I" :D