Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Virtual Railways (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any Railway on Earth (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=315)

dario 29th January 2006 17:39

Any Railway on Earth

If you download Google Earth, and click on Railways to see Railway Routes, on Terrain and Buildings to enable reliefs and 3D elevation, you can travel on any Railway on Earth, albeit by helicopter!
But you can spot a train frozen in the view, as you pass by.
The TILT control on the right allows you to fly as a bird over the Railway line.
Another nice game is to spot your own home!
Do you want to know where is the British Royal Family Estate in Rome?
Villa Wolkonsky. You can actually see it.
It's 41°53'19"N, 12°30'36"E, inside the Aurelian walls.
I live just outside, in a 5-storey block of flats,
41°53'06.15"N, 12°32?05.20".
But I cant recognize my car parked in the square close by!
The Rome-Naples railway line is not far but I can only see the roofs of the coaches as they pass by.
Dario Romani
[email protected]

dario 2nd February 2006 22:44

1 Attachment(s)
This is Roma Termini station.
Attachment 15

Australian Lord 12th February 2006 02:46

It all depends on what you are looking at, as som areas are very clear, and others are almsot unusuable.

mendiprail 12th February 2006 19:47

yeah, i've had google earth about 1/2 a yr now + still find it amazing
but some of the pictures are less than brilliant

dario 13th February 2006 19:39

Hi, mendiprail,
can you please write the geographical coorrdinates of the ESR, just for a broad look.
I understand I cant see the engines, but nevertheless its fun for me!
Olympic greetings from Dario

mendiprail 14th February 2006 18:12

the esr is just a blurred line
but i will get them next time i use it, yes

robbo 13th December 2006 15:57

I use google earth all the time for photograph purposes. If i`m visting a venue I havn`t been to before, I usually explore it with google earth first to find good locations for photos. Normal maps dont give enough detail as to trees by the side of the line which spoil the shots. Google earth lets you see the lie of the land better and so pick your locations. It works very well if you zoom in close enough -try it next time you go taking photos at a new venue line side.

pavorossi 13th December 2006 21:51

They did an item on North West Tonight the other week. It seems that most of the Northwest is blurry and out of date. I've never bothered checking out the East Lancs, but if Manchester isn't that well portrayed, what chance do places like Summerseat have?

Adam

Seth 13th December 2006 22:11

Adam
Just checked-out Summerseat, and pretty good result, followed the line down to Bury and you can see some rolling stock and a Diesel Engine in the siddings

Seth

pavorossi 17th December 2006 15:58

That pretty good then, cheers for that Seth.

Adam

Derbyroy 25th March 2008 16:37

Yep good one Seth,
However I clicked to get my home address earlier and the actual picture that came up was from when i owned a bright red Nissan Cherry, parked outside my house..I sold the car 4 years ago..so anyone using google earth please be aware most of their footage is a few years old
best regards Derby

46235 24th August 2008 23:37

Hi.
I tried following the Severn Valley Railway from Bewdley to Bridgnorth.
At Bewdley the sun is in the south and the shadows point north. Halfway to Bridgnorth the sun moves to the west and the shadows fall to the east. If you look carefully you can see where it changes.
Mike.

Seth 25th August 2008 10:24

On the last update of Google Earth, the altitude figure has gone and been replaced by the date the photograph was taken.

Seth

Mushroom 26th August 2008 11:57

Search: 53°35'12.53"N 2°16'4.93"W

Something running tender first on its way to heywood from bury

pavorossi 26th August 2008 15:06

I've noticed that too Mark. I reckon it's Leander or Lizzie, because I'm convinced it has a reddish tint to it.

Mushroom 26th August 2008 16:47

More than likely Leander

pavorossi 26th August 2008 17:50

Yeah, I was leaning to Leander, I don't think the boiler looks long enough to be a Princess really. Anyone else got an opinion?

Dawnrider 5th September 2008 18:37

1 Attachment(s)
well I've just had a look at Shildon, pretty cool! I couldnt see anywhere to click on railways though, I just browsed till i found it.

Mendipman319 7th April 2010 19:55

you do have to remember most parts (mostly in the countryside) are over 4-5 years old. This is due to the fact that google earth is taken from a plane and they have to wait for the right weather conditions to fly over, so they tend to avoid the countryside and fly over the cities more often. If you look at the bottom of the screen it says who took the picture and when if that helps.

46232 7th April 2010 23:40

Like Robbo I use Google Earth to check the lie of the land for photographic purposes, it's a real help. Talking of the East Lancs - I've not checked recently but I'm sure that it shows a steam hauled train on the section of line between Bury and Heywood just east of the M66. if I remember it looked like it might be a Black 5

Mendipman319 8th April 2010 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46232 (Post 45196)
Like Robbo I use Google Earth to check the lie of the land for photographic purposes, it's a real help. Talking of the East Lancs - I've not checked recently but I'm sure that it shows a steam hauled train on the section of line between Bury and Heywood just east of the M66. if I remember it looked like it might be a Black 5

i dont know about others but i use google earth for finding video spots like you but i look on an ordinance survey map then find it on google earth and make sure there are no obstructions (trees, houses, hedges). Sometimes it is very usefull.

Anon Mouse 8th April 2010 19:15

There are some great views over Pyongyang North Korea, pity there is very little information about the stations, lines and freight yards there!

46232 8th April 2010 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendipman319 (Post 45205)
i dont know about others but i use google earth for finding video spots like you but i look on an ordinance survey map then find it on google earth and make sure there are no obstructions (trees, houses, hedges). Sometimes it is very usefull.

You can do both at the same time on this usefull website. I use it all the time for looking at railways. Just type in a location and all is revealed

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

27vet 14th April 2010 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46232 (Post 45229)
You can do both at the same time on this usefull website. I use it all the time for looking at railways. Just type in a location and all is revealed

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

Excellent site, mate. Cheers, I bookmarked it.