Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Railway News from around the World (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Train hits cars at level crossing (BBC News) (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=6621)

RF News 16th January 2010 13:27

Train hits cars at level crossing (BBC News)

Two cars are hit by a train on a level crossing in Herefordshire leaving two badly injured.

More from BBC News...

RF News 16th January 2010 19:00

Woman dies after train hits cars (BBC News)

A woman has died and three others are injured after two cars are hit by a train on a level crossing in Herefordshire.

More from BBC News...

ccmmick 16th January 2010 19:04

That is very sad.

ccmmick.

swisstrains 16th January 2010 20:24

Yes, very sad for all involved. It is also very unusual for an accident like this to happen on a crossing controlled from a signalbox and for two road vehicles to be involved.

reflector 17th January 2010 09:06

Unusually, the line is still closed, replacement bus services are in operation on the Marches line and I believe the wrecked cars and the train are all still in situ nearly 24 hours after the collision.

RF News 17th January 2010 10:20

Fatal rail collision investigated (BBC News)

Investigations continue at the site where a woman was killed when two cars were hit by a train on a level crossing in Herefordshire.

More from BBC News...

bramleyman 18th January 2010 00:40

Sorry, but do we really need 2 different threads about this item?

RF News 18th January 2010 11:50

'Barriers up' in fatal rail crash (BBC News)

The safety barriers were up at a level crossing in Herefordshire when a woman was killed by a passing train, British Transport Police says.

More from BBC News...

swisstrains 18th January 2010 19:00

BTP have said that the barriers were open at the time of the accident. This is a strange one for sure.

boilersuit 18th January 2010 19:00

I know this crossing well. Terrible to learn that someone has died on it. There will be the most almighty investigation into this one – modern level crossings are supposed to be completely safe when used correctly, and by all accounts the car drivers did nothing wrong in this case. They weren't taking chances by jumping the lights or anything.

ccmmick 18th January 2010 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 39261)
BTP have said that the barriers were open at the time of the accident. This is a strange one for sure.

That is very strange for sure if so that one will have to be looked into.

ccmmick.

reflector 18th January 2010 19:13

Local TV News has reported that the barriers were definitely up at the time of the collision. A local factory owner whose premises adjoin the crossing says that he understands that the cars had stopped at the barrier which was in the closed position. They then raised, the cars started to cross and were struck by the train.

He asked Network Rail engineers investigating the collision how it could have happened and they are said to have replied "We have no idea."

The barriers are said to have been replaced about three months ago but this incident could have serious repercussions for the hundreds of similar crossings up and down the country which we have always assumed are safe.

This crossing is now said to OK but many locals are reported to be refusing to use it and you really can't blame them..

klordger1900 19th January 2010 21:50

There should be a warning light for the driver of the train to show that the barriers are up or down ie red or green. This smash is too horrific to contemplate and I will certainly slow right down next time I cross one of them barriers to see if there are any lights coming. I always look both ways as a matter of habit but it will be walking pace in future and I dont care who is behind me or how much of a rush they are in to get round me.

ccmmick 19th January 2010 21:53

I just cant undestand it supposed to be fail safe something very bad went wrong.

ccmmick.

46235 19th January 2010 23:02

Hereford and Worcester BBC Radio were reporting that the barriers were down then raised up and the train then appeared and hit the two cars.
The line is semaphore signalled at this point so are the barriers operated by the signaller or do they respond to the approach of the train?

ccmmick 19th January 2010 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46235 (Post 39360)
Hereford and Worcester BBC Radio were reporting that the barriers were down then raised up and the train then appeared and hit the two cars.
The line is semaphore signalled at this point so are the barriers operated by the signaller or do they respond to the approach of the train?

They could be worked by the box but i would think that they are worked by the train.

It could be a number of reasons it could have even been a SPAD we shall have to wait and see.

Whatever went wrong it is very sad.

ccmmick.

reflector 20th January 2010 08:31

Oh dear - we now seem to have at least four threads going on this one incident. It really is getting quite difficult to follow. Can't we just stick to one thread per incident?

Dave Rowland 20th January 2010 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by reflector (Post 39368)
Oh dear - we now seem to have at least four threads going on this one incident. It really is getting quite difficult to follow. Can't we just stick to one thread per incident?

Yes indeed. It would make perfect sense to add news items to threads already up & running concerning the same new items, rather than ending up with several seperate threads for the same subject matter. Yes, yes, yes please! :)

swisstrains 20th January 2010 09:58

I know it's extra work for the moderators but when a thread has already been started any additional threads generated by "RF News" on the same subject should either be combined or deleted.

pavorossi 20th January 2010 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by reflector (Post 39368)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rowland (Post 39369)
Yes indeed. It would make perfect sense to add news items to threads already up & running concerning the same new items, rather than ending up with several seperate threads for the same subject matter. Yes, yes, yes please! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstrains (Post 39372)
I know it's extra work for the moderators but when a thread has already been started any additional threads generated by "RF News" on the same subject should either be combined or deleted.

Sorry about the delay in dealing with this gents, the threads are now merged.

Dave Rowland 20th January 2010 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavorossi (Post 39384)
Sorry about the delay in dealing with this gents, the threads are now merged.

Well done, that man! :)

reflector 20th January 2010 16:28

Thanks very much, Pavorossi. That's much better.

BBC Hereford and Worcester is reporting today that the signalman has been suspended but I imagine that is standard practice in incidents of this kind

LincolnPete 20th January 2010 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by reflector (Post 39387)
Thanks very much, Pavorossi. That's much better.

BBC Hereford and Worcester is reporting today that the signalman has been suspended but I imagine that is standard practice in incidents of this kind

Yes it would be standard practice for the signalman to be relieved of duty after such an incident. I would not read too much into it at this stage.

ccmmick 21st January 2010 11:44

Got a funeral today 13.30 in Wadebridge i hope to see a few signalmen and ask if they have any inside info as to what went wrong.

ccmmick.

ccmmick 21st January 2010 15:44

I have asked three signalmen today as to what went wrong and they dont know the full facts as yet, but the inside info they gave me is that it is looking like the signalman was at fault.

ccmmick.

LincolnPete 21st January 2010 16:06

If the signalman was at fault i find it hard to fathom how he could have achieved that situation. The equipment should have been route locked if the train was going at any sort of speed. The other option is a SPAD, i reckon we will have to wait a while for the full facts to come out.

ccmmick 21st January 2010 16:13

I am like you Pete it sure is a mystery something very bad happened and we will all just have to wait and see.

ccmmick.

wyvern 21st January 2010 16:13

Should we speculating about this?

It must be very distressing to the people concerned and we ought to wait for the enquiry.

reflector 21st January 2010 17:42

No need to wait. Network Rail has issued an apology today to the family and those affected saying that although investigations are not yet complete, they accept that their actions caused the accident. They go on to say that neither the car drivers nor the train driver were to blame. I can't recall any organisation before admitting responsibility (and thereby laying themselves open to substantial compensation) quite so early, if at all.

LincolnPete 21st January 2010 20:27

Yes that certainly is unusual, a terrible tragedy that should never have happened.

swisstrains 1st August 2010 21:26

Although the official report into this accident has not yet been published the following explanation is being given on a number of websites:-
The signalman accepted two trains, one in each direction and closed the crossing barriers (which were not interlocked with the signalling/track circuiting) before clearing his signals.
Whilst one train was passing he answered a phone call relating to one of the other crossings under his control. As a result of this distraction he forgot about the second train (which hadn't yet passed) and re-opened the barriers.
He quickly realised his error and placed his signals at danger but despite an emergency brake application the approaching train collided with two cars.
It is also being reported that an offer to install barrier control interlocking during a recent equipment overhaul project at this signalbox was rejected by Network Rail managers.!!

craftsmaster 4th August 2010 09:04

Iraq medical students including prof were found dead when train fell down the canyon. The most sad story ever heard.