Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Light Rail and Metros (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blackpool trams (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=7162)

railwaybuddy 18th February 2011 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccmmick (Post 43783)
If the old Balloons go it will be a great shame and Blackpool will not be the same without them.

ccmmick.

yeah but dont forget what people are experincing now is what people experienced 70 years ago when these ballon trams first came into service

draximus 16th October 2011 15:56

During 2011, a number of Balloon and Millennium class trams were modernised so that they could operate after the £100m refurbishment of the whole tramway. New widened doorways have been fitted, with driver operated doors which fit to the new platforms which have been built at tram stops for the new Flexity 2 trams. This means they are also now have level access for disabled passengers. Fixed seats and a new passenger information display has also been fitted to match the new trams. Speedometers have also been retrofitted to the driving console

jrt2345 29th February 2012 21:31

Thanks for the links. I like the old trams a lot but to be honest the future ones look nicer and greener. I hope I don't upset anybody, it is just my view. This is the 21st century and these trams would make journey times smaller and make it more comfy for passengers.

37057 1st March 2012 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrt2345 (Post 67886)
Thanks for the links. I like the old trams a lot but to be honest the future ones look nicer and greener. I hope I don't upset anybody, it is just my view. This is the 21st century and these trams would make journey times smaller and make it more comfy for passengers.

Remember, you are entitled to your views. I am a strong believer in expressing one's views, I certainly do not pussy-foot around worried I might offend somebody! I am not a bad person (if you meet me, you will see this) I just believe in 'saying it like it is' ;)

Anyway, back on topic! - I must admit I'm looking forward to riding on the Flexities. Although given the choice, I'd rather ride the old'uns!

NYM 5th April 2012 07:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-17607881

Didn't get the new service going too well.

What they failed to mention in the article was that before the first service run derailed the heating packed in (at 5am on a chilly April morning), the automated display and passenger announcements packed in, the bells to press to get off the tram stop working and the tram had to stop four times for debris to be removed from the track.

86217Comet 26th July 2012 07:39

I have very fond memories of the Blackpool trams. My dad took me when I was 12 in 1983 to see the trams. Because I lived in Scotland they were a real novelty as I'd never travelled on one before. One of the things I loved about them at that time was the variety of different types. Its sad that they are being replaced my more modern types. It would be good if they could keep some of the older types to run services alongside the newer ones.

denniswuqiao 3rd August 2012 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86217Comet (Post 70750)
I have very fond memories of the Blackpool trams. My dad took me when I was 12 in 1983 to see the trams. Because I lived in Scotland they were a real novelty as I'd never travelled on one before. One of the things I loved about them at that time was the variety of different types. Its sad that they are being replaced my more modern types. It would be good if they could keep some of the older types to run services alongside the newer ones.

I could see these are your beautiful memories of old days. Bringing back old trams, and they will not only serve as means of transportation, but also tourist attractions.

LNER 3rd August 2012 20:40

Just the job these new units

Just back from Blackpool photographing the new trams, they are certainly the business quite, smooth and stylish. We will all have a soft spot for the old trams, but time moves on and in years to come people will look at these new units and say the are vintage.

springs branch mickey 27th August 2012 09:02

I have to admit, that they are quite a smart vehicle, and as you say they will be tomorrows vintage stock. I do like new as well as old things. I said at the start of this thread, that i was seeing the end of an era. For myself, I did not like the splitting up of a working museum; one of the things people came to the town to see.
I am pleased that this thread generated such interest and comment.
mickey