Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Freight Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   new class 70s (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8448)

colchesterken 7th January 2011 22:33

no. no sorry should have made it clear they said train engines..

Dave Rowland 7th January 2011 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabrook (Post 57432)
Reported on 'wnxx.com' today 70012 was dropped 20' during unloading at Newport. If the reports are true and not exaggerated and the fall was unsupported then the damage must be massive!

It's a great pity these things weren't nicknamed 'Clangers' - it would have been ideal if the person responsible for the mishap had been able to say that he'd dropped a clanger....:)

ccmmick 7th January 2011 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rowland (Post 57469)
It's a great pity these things weren't nicknamed 'Clangers' - it would have been ideal if the person responsible for the mishap had been able to say that he'd dropped a clanger....:)

I only wish i was on the crane i would have dropped the lot horrible locos :confused: :confused:.

ccmmick.

Ploughman 8th January 2011 16:39

The question of the locos returning to the states all depends on where the ship is booked to go next.
Liability will probably initially be on whoever was lifting. Photos of the loading appeared to show the ships own crane doing this.
However this may not be the case for the unload.

Madcaravanner 8th January 2011 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rowland (Post 57469)

LOL
Round here there called Bettys (Ugly Bettys) after the TV show of the same name

stanboy29 13th January 2011 20:32

70002 at Darlington this morning on coal southbound 0915 hrs

saxokid 20th January 2011 02:57

Saw class 70 today at Helsby,pulling coal.......

exhaustEd 4th March 2011 20:04

class 70 nicknames

I've not been comvinced by any of the nicknames so far although i've heard 3 this week that seemed a bit more catchy; 'tonkas', 'weebles' and 'bricks'! Hmm. :confused:

colchesterken 6th March 2011 15:51

I think we should try to grow to love them,they cannot help being designed for the job rather than the look they seem to do a good job on the GEML longer container trains
and from reports I have read they have great pulling power !
Pity about the looks. If only they could fit that kit in a Western body

alco 12th January 2012 22:53

Just found out about these locomotives in a special Trains diesel issue. They obviously have a low-clearance capability and remind me of the EMD G12, a road switcher found in Mexico. What's impressive to me is when you consider the 3,700 hp in a small package and I like the double cab. My concern, however, is if there's a collision, the engineer could easily get killed, because of such a short nose.

If you go to youtube.com, type "PowerHaul Story" into the search and you'll find a good clip on it. Includes a unit being on-loaded in Norfolk, VA and off-loaded in Newport, Wales.

Is the PH37ACmi now the standard freight loco of the UK?