Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Passenger Operations and Observations (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who needs High Speed 2? (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=8433)

48111 14th September 2010 05:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by John H-T (Post 53589)
A lot of meetings do take place via the Internet but I believe that it is still necessary to meet face to face and talk to real people in buisiness, government and socially.

It is great to talk with everyone on this Forum. It is even better when we have the opportunity to meet face to face. I would hate to think that the world will degenerate into people sitting in front of screens all the time instead of getting out and meeting each other. Humans are social animals and are best when they communicate face to face and can pick up emotions not just words!

As for HST2 I have always said on this Forum that I believe that it is essential to the future of this country as a transport system. When I travel I want to get there quickly and in comfort and spend time doing what I want/need to do and then get home. I prefer train travel to flying especially to avoid the hours wasted waiting in airports!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Well John, we nearly met mate didnt we, if Wolverton had have happened !!!

John H-T 14th September 2010 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48111 (Post 53652)
Well John, we nearly met mate didnt we, if Wolverton had have happened !!!

Hopefully we will meet up sometime Peter.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

5701 15th September 2010 15:55

Our local paper today says that HS2 has been moved away from the edge of Aylesbury but it will still be a white eliphant.The money should be put into the rest of the system which needs the development.Get the basics right and then if the money is available build the high speed lines,we need a good network of general purpose lines all over GB these provide services people need.I totaly agree that Penderlino seats are awful the average car seat is better try going to Glasgow and back then you will see what we mean.

klordger1900 15th September 2010 22:21

You dont want to travel too far in a diesel pendalino since you cant insulate either the noise or the vibration on top of them literally you have a less than comfortable seat!!

48111 16th September 2010 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5701 (Post 53725)
Our local paper today says that HS2 has been moved away from the edge of Aylesbury but it will still be a white eliphant.The money should be put into the rest of the system which needs the development.Get the basics right and then if the money is available build the high speed lines,we need a good network of general purpose lines all over GB these provide services people need.I totaly agree that Penderlino seats are awful the average car seat is better try going to Glasgow and back then you will see what we mean.

How will that affect Quainton now then, if HS2 has been moved ?

Shimbleshanks 21st September 2010 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleyholly (Post 53560)
check the timetables

I did. Fastest I can find in the public timetable is 1hr 28mins (18:00 departure M-F to Glasgow Central).

robbo 30th September 2013 22:16

Cut the cost in half for HST2 buy building it one way - out of London only :)

springs branch mickey 1st October 2013 08:29

:D Did I detect a slight Northern bias there, owd cock.
mickey.:D:D

johnmoly 1st October 2013 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo (Post 77970)
Cut the cost in half for HST2 buy building it one way - out of London only :)

If it ever gets built, probably find the cost will be cut as I'm sure it will stop at Birmingham. I have the feeling it is just to enlarge the London commuter belt, anything further north will be just too far for most. In the old days railways were started at least either end and sort of met in the middle so to speak, the proposal for HS2 is to start just at the London end. That tells me something.