Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   On-track Machinery (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Shunting American style.(WW2 US Railway Troops. (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=9275)

proud2brrer 3rd March 2011 01:33

Interesting catch Nigel, yes you did notice the correct procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PoathArc...29/l77WU1DE1W8

The Poath archive collection on youtube has some great old films!

HM181 6th March 2011 23:28

It makes no difference, which step you ride on, it a dangerous practise, but people tend to think that it w ont happen to them.
If take your mind off what your are doing for a second and thats all it takes to loose and arm or leg.

Scarbagjack 24th April 2011 11:16

Interesting I think.
It wasn't too long ago that shunters in parts of Australia were still allowed to hop on & off moving rollingstock.
As the video shows there is a technique involved that minimizes the risk of injury.
In this day and age though, the management are so concerned about covering their backsides that, although some of the safety initiatives are a step forward in natural health and safety progression, they have taken it way too far in some instances.
I know in my role working on track, after an unfortunate incident that resulted in the deaths of two colleagues, the knee jerk reaction virtually stopped us from accessing the track to get any maintenance done. Only when some equipment began to fail did they let us “bend “their new rules to get trains running again.

These new “safe working " rules were introduced by management and lawyers that have zero track experience, but plenty of rear end covering experience.
Common sense should prevail, certainly rules are necessary, and have indeed been in place in ever increasing increments to suit different scenarios, however, most workers are responsible enough to take ownership of their own safety, if not, their mates on the job with them certainly will let them know.

One thing is for sure though; this is a very complex issue that has very strong support for both sides of the argument.

Silver Fox Phil 25th April 2011 20:41

Perhaps we should adopt this film as a training aid of HOW NOT to do it!!!

Scarbagjack 17th November 2011 13:30

In regards to the dubious safe work practice demonstrated in this video, those who know nothing about the job in hand should really speak to those who have made a career out of these jobs.

Just a quick note to update the brilliance of office staff who dictate safety standards about tasks they know nothing about, having never actually done these tasks themselves, aimed at staff who actually really work in the dangerous areas.

Latest...

"Must hold hand rails whilst walking down stairs."

People who are adept in walking should be outraged.
What should these rogue walkers do if they are walking UP stairs?
They will be lost and without any direction on how to climb from the place where they must have got to at some stage.

These tossers are paid big money to make totally inane statements that most people know already, or choose to undertake if they feel necessary.

Imagine the anguish for these muppets to even think about somebody stepping on a piece of ballast, let alone having to work on an actual track with actual rail traffic.

Before there are cries of “we have to cover all potential accidents"...
There are really only two words that sum it up for me...harden up.

Everyone’s got a story...

pre65 17th November 2011 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarbagjack (Post 65216)

"Must hold hand rails whilst walking down stairs."

Sorry, but I would have thought that GOOD advice, even more so at home with carpeted stairs.:)

Scarbagjack 18th November 2011 02:38

Oh, certainly good advice, what burns my butt is the amount of dollars that these Einstein's are getting paid to deliver these words of wisdom.
And the thousands of dollars spent to communicate this " new safety initiative" to the workforce.
Seriously, primary school stuff.