Railway Forum

Railway Forum (https://www.railwayforum.net/index.php)
-   Narrow Gauge (https://www.railwayforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Bollington: a new era! (https://www.railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=5338)

JEB-245584/2 27th October 2009 22:14

True SMBC are the adjacent council to East Cheshire Council but from what I have been told they own/manage the Midlewood Way from Middlewood to Marple so I'am pretty sure they will have a big say in what can or can't be done with a public footpath.
Also what is the legal ground on converting a part of the national cycle route back to a railway?

steam for ever 28th October 2009 11:09

Yes I have just had a look at the revised maps.
As cheshire east is only a few months old we realised that incorporated many other smaller councils.
Marple is in the stockport area, but we felt it would be a whole lot simpler to have the path under one council.
That is not our choice though.
The boundry is at middlewood station (or low level), so after that permission will have to be obtained from SMBC also.
It is worth mentioning at this point that at wyvale garden centre in Marple there is a minaiture railway with regular steam running. I am sure you will agree that their assistance would be invaluble, so contact shall also be established with themas soon as possible.
The website was going well, but I have been advised to use microsoft office live to finnish it off. If anyone has used it on here then please tell me how good or bad it was?

steam for ever 30th October 2009 18:21

These people are trying to save Lindow Moss peat bog:
www.lindowmoss.org.uk

I think what they are doing is a ver good thing in todays and more importantly tomorrow's world.
I wish to help them stop the destruction.

Toddington Ted 31st October 2009 10:32

I've just wasted 20 minutes of my life speed-reading through this thread. Some of you should really stop feeding bananas to the chimp.

pre65 31st October 2009 10:43

I do admire SFE for his enthusiasm but I fear for the projects long term viability because of the way he is going about it.

Perhaps when they actually get permission from the track owners to go ahead with the project credibility will be restored.

Being "posh", having titled relatives and unbounded enthusiasm is not enough to overcome what seems to be a very "naive" approach to a gigantic task.

JEB-245584/2 31st October 2009 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddington Ted (Post 34258)
I've just wasted 20 minutes of my life speed-reading through this thread. Some of you should really stop feeding bananas to the chimp.

I don't think it is bananas some of us are dishing out,I would call it allowing the user to borrow a excavator to keep digging a bigger hole of which to get out of.

Pre65, Going off the evidence of this weeks post, and when this thread first started I think you should add youthful to naive.

SFE,How about coming clean and admitting this scheme is a non-starter,except for your own personal dream?
Why do I state this, well I for one have being doing a little bit of research and I will keep my findings private for the moment but suffice to say you stand a better chance of platting sawdust then ever opening this line.
No offence or anything personal towards you SFE,but lets do a reality check and close this thread.

Cheers John

pre65 31st October 2009 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEB-245584/2 (Post 34270)
Pre65, Going off the evidence of this weeks post, and when this thread first started I think you should add youthful to naive.

Cheers John

I would like SFE to come clean about himself ! Something about this person and his (her ?) pet project is very wrong I feel. Some of the background information given just does not check out.

Unless we can be convinced I suggest the whole thread be scrapped.

Dave Rowland 31st October 2009 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pre65 (Post 34274)
I would like SFE to come clean about himself ! Something about this person and his (her ?) pet project is very wrong I feel. Some of the background information given just does not check out.

I rather think that what we've got here is the equivalent of a 5-year old who's gone to a jumble sale with 10p, hoping to return home with all the neccessary items to build a full size working replica of the Starship Enterprise, complete with crew & instruction manual....
:)

Trev 1st November 2009 01:53

Perhaps it's time this thread was closed while the mods had a bit of a chinwag. :)