Railway Forum

02:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.


Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 7th June 2008, 22:05
Deathbyteacup's Avatar
Deathbyteacup Deathbyteacup is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Posts: 704
Images: 51
Pendlebury Station.

I've been doing research into Pendlebury train station. It does not exist anymore, however the main reason for my interest in this station is because the main station building more or less stood where I'm sat right now as I write this.

It was in Manchester, located on what is today that small branch line that links Salford Crescent station towards Wigan Wallgate, and was about three quaters of a mile before Swinton station which is still open.

Anyway, bit of a long shot but I just wondered if anyone remembers anything about this station or had any relatives etc. who did. I'm really eger to possibly see photographs or paintings of the station but I've never been able to come across anything.

The line and the station was fairly busy at one point before the line became the small branchline that it is now with two trains an hour.

The only remains of the station now is a wall right near my house which is part of the origonal station building which is an interesting thing, and the tracks still widen so you can see where the platform once stood when you look over the wall.

Danny


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10th June 2008, 20:17
neil8471 neil8471 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pendlebury
Posts: 10
Images: 1
Pendlebury Station

Hi Danny

You're not the only one doing research into Pendlebury Station I am fascinated by the fact that there used to be a station there as I am local also and did you know there was a station at Irlams O' th' Height also that was at the bottom of bank lane. I have some press cuttings from Salford library of when they both closed also some pictures of Pendlebury station one from the front page of the journal from 1960 it's not that clear but you can see it it just looks very similar to Swinton. I also have a couple from books one from 1897 and one from 1961 which was a year after it closed but it's a train going past on the fast lines which are no longer there. The press cuttings are about a man whose hobby was to be the last person to buy a ticket at the station, they are good. I could scan them to you?
If you follow this link this is an aerial view of Pendlebury from 1930 in the top right hand corner you can see the station and the bridge going over to it etc

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/....php?irn=55923

Regards

Neil
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10th June 2008, 21:56
paul miller paul miller is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ilkeston Derbyshire
Posts: 710
welcome to the forum Danny.
Paul.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10th June 2008, 21:58
paul miller paul miller is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ilkeston Derbyshire
Posts: 710
Sorry Neil I must have my wrong glasses on.
Welcome to the forum.
Danny you are just as welcome my friend.
Paul.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10th June 2008, 22:26
DSY011's Avatar
DSY011 DSY011 is offline  
Station Manager
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: BRISTOL U.K.
Posts: 3,931
Images: 506
Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. That's the thing about this site, help is always willingly given. You have just proved that you are willing to help out as well, so in my book that makes you very welcome.
__________________
The Old Git, Syd
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10th June 2008, 22:28
Deathbyteacup's Avatar
Deathbyteacup Deathbyteacup is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Posts: 704
Images: 51
Hehe, thanks for the welcome Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil8471 View Post
Hi Danny

You're not the only one doing research into Pendlebury Station I am fascinated by the fact that there used to be a station there as I am local also and did you know there was a station at Irlams O' th' Height also that was at the bottom of bank lane. I have some press cuttings from Salford library of when they both closed also some pictures of Pendlebury station one from the front page of the journal from 1960 it's not that clear but you can see it it just looks very similar to Swinton. I also have a couple from books one from 1897 and one from 1961 which was a year after it closed but it's a train going past on the fast lines which are no longer there. The press cuttings are about a man whose hobby was to be the last person to buy a ticket at the station, they are good. I could scan them to you?
If you follow this link this is an aerial view of Pendlebury from 1930 in the top right hand corner you can see the station and the bridge going over to it etc

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/....php?irn=55923

Regards

Neil
That ariel photo is really interesting, now I know basically how people got down to the station, it's always been something that was at the back of my mind.

It's also really cool to think that all used to be right outside my front door, I really wish it was still like that now. I'm not sure pacers have much use for the "fast lines" that used to exist there.

I think I had heard there was a station at Irlams o'th Height but that seems even more crazy than the Pendlebury one.

I had a vague idea that the Pendlebury station was of a similar design and construction to Swinton as the wall that remains right outside is of the same brickwork that Swinton is built from, and looks right out of place merged into the black wall.

It's right behind the bus stop under the trees, over the road from St. Augustines, incase you hadn't been aware it was still there (but I'm sure you where)

Any scans of photos would be very very appreciated should it not be too much trouble!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11th June 2008, 07:26
hairyhandedfool hairyhandedfool is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 271
Images: 6
Pendlebury station was marked on the railway maps in the 2005 Aslef diary!!
__________________
REAL LIFE FACT: 3,000 people die each year putting their trousers on!

Well done for making it past that today!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11th June 2008, 13:24
Deathbyteacup's Avatar
Deathbyteacup Deathbyteacup is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manchester
Posts: 704
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
Pendlebury station was marked on the railway maps in the 2005 Aslef diary!!
What's an "Aslef" diary? It's wrong either way, it's quite not there I can assure you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11th June 2008, 21:06
Shed Cat's Avatar
Shed Cat Shed Cat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern UK
Posts: 1,100
Images: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
What's an "Aslef" diary? It's wrong either way, it's quite not there I can assure you.
'Associated Society of Locomotive Steam Enginemen and Firemen'...........
I didnt know they still existed, or are they in a time warp?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12th June 2008, 07:31
hairyhandedfool hairyhandedfool is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: MANCHESTER
Posts: 271
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
'Associated Society of Locomotive Steam Enginemen and Firemen'...........
I didnt know they still existed, or are they in a time warp?
They do very much still exist, they just don't do anything anymore, not like the RMT. A couple of years ago there was division in the ranks and I got out, can't say what has happened since.

Anyway back to pendlebury.......
__________________
REAL LIFE FACT: 3,000 people die each year putting their trousers on!

Well done for making it past that today!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.