04:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

East coast line hit by landslips (BBC News)

Old 30th March 2010, 21:50

East coast line hit by landslips (BBC News)

Train services on the East Coast main line have been suspended north of Berwick after two landslips.

More from BBC News...

Old 31st March 2010, 21:40

Yes indeed! I had the misfortune to be travelling back from Doncaster to Inverkeithing yesterday and got caught up in the ensuing chaos.

I got on the 7.28pm (a class 91 set) to Edinburgh. After waiting for a bit on the Tyne bridge to get into Newcastle station the guard announced the train would be terminated at Newcastle. We were transferred onto what had been the 4pm LondonKX-Aberdeen train which had been waiting at Newcastle for about two and a half hours for the arrival of the two following trains (ours was the second). We were then told we were going to Edinburgh via Carlisle but only one snag, no driver now available who knew the road to Carlisle. Another driver was found however and after a delay of about an hour in total, we set off to Carlisle. The Aberdeen set was a 125 so could be used on the non electrified cross country section. Approaching Carlisle the guard announced "more bad news I'm afraid - this train is not going to Edinburgh - it's going back to Newcastle." We would have to change onto another train at Carlise which was on it's way from Edinburgh but "even more bad news - it has only just left Edinburgh". After about a one and a half hour wait on the train at Carlisle we transferred to the now arrived class 91 set and eventually got to Edinburgh just after 3am. Buses had been organised for onward destinations which all left at around 3.30am. I picked up my car at Inverkeithing and got home to Perth at 4.30am. I pitied those going to Aberdeen who would probably not have arrived there until well after 6am. Well knackered, but we had a few good laughs in our coach and the East Coast staff did very well in the circumnstances.

Last edited by 60159; 31st March 2010 at 21:42. Reason: typos