18:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Bluebell Railway extension – the end is in sight!

Old 7th March 2013, 18:14

Smile Bluebell Railway extension – the end is in sight!

Since 1990 the Bluebell Railway has been extending northwards from Horsted Keynes towards its goal of reconnecting with the national network at East Grinstead. Tomorrow (Friday 8 March) that goal will be attained with the laying of the final piece of track through the notorious Imberhorne Cutting, which had to be cleared at a cost of several million pounds after it had been used as a council rubbish dump during the 1970s.

Train services on the newly extended railway will commence on 23 March. I'm looking forward to route learning over the coming weeks.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tightening of the final fishplate is covered on local TV news tomorrow. Exciting times!

Old 7th March 2013, 18:49

What a great achievement and it never ceases to amaze me, the shear determination shown by dedicated enthusiasts in pursuit of their ambitions. Another milestone on another of our great heritage railways. Credit to you all involved and I truly hope you get one of the many awards in recognition of your efforts. Brilliant and soon I hope to make my first visit to this fine railway.
All the very best for your future
Regards
Phil
Old 7th March 2013, 21:36

It's great news Jon. Looking forward to opening weekend - working on the Saturday so can't make the actual opening day, so intending to get my first trip over the viaduct on the Sunday.
Just on the subject of the viaduct, Railway Magazine calls it 'Hill Place Viaduct', everyone else seems to call it 'Imberhorne Viaduct' - any ideas which is correct?

Tony
Old 7th March 2013, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Just on the subject of the viaduct, Railway Magazine calls it 'Hill Place Viaduct', everyone else seems to call it 'Imberhorne Viaduct' - any ideas which is correct?
It's called Hill Place Viaduct in the railway's Sectional Appendix, so that's the official name. Don't know where the other name comes from, though it's just north of Imberhorne Cutting.
Old 8th March 2013, 19:30

I've been waiting for this news for years, so gratulations to everyone whose hard work has achieved this. I'm looking forward to travelling over the "new" part of the line this summer I hope.
Old 11th April 2013, 20:51

Well, i'm now living in the States, but I have been watching this grow for the last 20 years...congrats to all concerned! so, trips now on tap into E Grinstead station? Wow! what now? what's the view from the train over the viaduct? must be extremely satisfying! Sam
Old 15th April 2013, 02:06

Years ago I did one of the excellent steam courses at Sheffield Park run by Clive Groome. Back then this was all a dream, magnificent effort by all of those who made it a reality.
Old 15th April 2013, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semaphore Sam View Post
Well, i'm now living in the States, but I have been watching this grow for the last 20 years...congrats to all concerned! so, trips now on tap into E Grinstead station? Wow! what now? what's the view from the train over the viaduct? must be extremely satisfying! Sam
Youtube video from the Bluebell Railway about the opening of the extension - including the view from the viaduct, which is mostly houses on the side shown!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsq2DoKn1QM

Tony
Old 15th April 2013, 20:02

Yes very nice to see and again a great achievement.
I will get there one day soon I hope.
Cheers
Phil