23:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

59201 Mossend to Ferrybridge 26/02/1998

Old 26th February 2011, 15:41

59201 Mossend to Ferrybridge 26/02/1998

Was looking through some old Diaries I found in the attic ( Its more like an Alladins Cave haha !! )
On this day in 1998 I worked a National Power Loaded coal train from Mossend via Shotts and through Edinburgh Waverley down the ECML and got relieved at Ferrybridge. I had worked up the previous day non stop from Milford to Mossend ( I don`t think you would want to hear about the bladder emptying arrangements !! )
We used the JHA Nat Power set normally used on the Limestone train from Buxton to Drax.
The reason was that the JHA could not pysically be overloaded with coal and also we could run loaded at 75mph ( A first in the UK for a loaded Coal Train ). Only in England and not Scotland due to some wierd Railtrack Scotland thing which meant we had to run as a Class 6 up to the English Border and then Class 4 in England. I think the headcodes were 6Z59 and 4Z59.
Even with the Great Class 59/2 we didn`t really hit 75 that much to be fair.
Probably a very boring post but may interest the odd one.
Chris

Old 28th February 2011, 15:37

Hi Chris. Very good route knowledge to go all that way,or did you need a conductor for some of the way
Old 28th February 2011, 22:13

Seems to me they had rather flexible route card?
I know Dave Court had that type of RK, and he also has some pics of mine.
Old 1st March 2011, 15:49

Was this not the occassion that Dave Jackson and Juan King also went up with you? or was it Richard Pike, i seem to remember someone wanted to hit mr King.
Old 1st March 2011, 15:52

Also do you remember working the royal train from Skipton to Stockport, and on arriving at Stockport someone asked if it was the train for Hazel Grove.
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:03

Barry of BlackRod -- I spent quite a lot of time learning the route from Ferrybridge upto Hunterston this was via ECML, Edinburgh Waverley, Shotts, Mossend and across to Hunterston Loading Terminal. The only part I was conducted on was from Mosssend onto Motherwell TMD.
Yes 56109 lmao, I remember working "The Royal" on that occasion, first of many. Also was asked in Leeds once if it was for Skipton !! lol Some folk lol
Chris
Old 4th March 2011, 12:33

Hm181 -- yes Dave Court certainly did have a great route card. Dave and "Big Nev" great Steam men !! Loved having a few beers with them both, great guys.
Re NP Route Cards. Some guys were recruited because of the Route knowledge and this was kept up in quite a bizarre way. If for example a guy signed Ferrybridge to West Burton then every few months he would come in on a day when not involved with Power station Coal transport and take a light loco out for a spin over the route after getting permission off RailTrack.
Best Wishes
Chris