01:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Just joined

Old 7th September 2014, 13:23

Talking of big lathes reminds me of the one my father operated at times, it was actually the property of the National Coal Board. The operator would sit on a chair on the toolpost and move along with the cutting tool. I would have liked to have seen it.

Old 7th September 2014, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereward View Post
Talking of big lathes reminds me of the one my father operated at times, it was actually the property of the National Coal Board. The operator would sit on a chair on the toolpost and move along with the cutting tool. I would have liked to have seen it.
Me too.That's some lathe.
Old 14th September 2014, 10:50

Hi Everyone... Just doing some local history in and around Swinton/Pendlebury where I used to live up to 1960 aged 11. Living top Of Agecroft hill (Shirley Ave) I got down to our local sand pits along the Manchester-Bolton lines every weekend with mates to catch many Jubs etc. which were often on the fast lines. Have walked/cycled the entire line route from Radcliffe to Monton/Patricroft on old cliffton branch line (except black Harry tunnel of course!) and have many photos which I'll be uploading. Best wishes for now. (G1AGM - my other hobby)
Old 14th September 2014, 12:06

Hi Gordwill2,
I used to live at the bottom of Beverly Road but I was 8 years older and left in 1954. I well remember the area. When I was younger we used to play on the fields that were covered by Salford Council using the area as a rubbish tip to form the playing fields that are there now. The railway used to be up on an embankment about 30 feet high. I often wish that I could go back to the early 50's with a modern camera to record the spectacular smoke effects of trains climbing Pendlebury Bank.
Old 14th September 2014, 15:04

Hi Tony

Yeh... remember Beverly Rd well, my brother Arthur used to be friends with a lad Stephen Wittingham and I remember Susan Grundy from school whose father run a taxi service we used often. All a little later as you say before your move.
Alas the fast lines have gone as have the bridge over Agecroft rd. and nature has reclaimed the trackbed. We also ventured to Pendlebury station on occasions without our parents knowledge. We got on well with the station master, who's name I forget, observers book of trains in one hand and the train spotters bible by Ian Allen in the other.
But watching the jubs thundering up the bank from the sandhills was a wonderful sight, sadly lost for ever. Many a day spent hoping for the 'double pegs' to arrive from Pendleton in the pouring rain was worth the scolding we got for missing tea-time. Glad to share the experience.
Old 15th September 2014, 01:36

In the summer I and friends used to sit at the top of a cutting just to the east of Rugeley trent valley which gave a great view.When the weather was not so good then we would stand on the bridge adjacent to the station!Great views of approaching trains from the Stafford end but you had to be quick if they emerged from the cutting to the east!Also spent a sunday or two cycling round Wolverhampton sneaking into sheds there!
Old 15th September 2014, 09:07

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordwill2 View Post
Hi Everyone... Just doing some local history in and around Swinton/Pendlebury where I used to live up to 1960 aged 11. Living top Of Agecroft hill (Shirley Ave) I got down to our local sand pits along the Manchester-Bolton lines every weekend with mates to catch many Jubs etc. which were often on the fast lines. Have walked/cycled the entire line route from Radcliffe to Monton/Patricroft on old cliffton branch line (except black Harry tunnel of course!) and have many photos which I'll be uploading. Best wishes for now. (G1AGM - my other hobby)
Look forward to your posts from around where we used to live.My view was from Littleton Road.Spent many hours at 26B.
Stuart