13:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Information for a Student

Old 10th October 2013, 11:37

Information for a Student

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction.

I’m currently doing a project for my university on trainspotting and how to increase its accessibility. However my knowledge on the subject is limited and I was hoping someone would be able to give me information on:
- The do’s and don’ts so to speak of trainspotting.
- A guide for a newbie to trainspotting.

Any information would be great!

Thanks,

Chloe

Old 10th October 2013, 15:06

Hello Chloe and welcome to the Forum. This question has been asked in various forms from time to time on the Forum but not for a while now, if I recall, so you'd have to dig back quite a way to find a relevant thread. Most of us would describe ourselves as railway enthusiasts rather than trainspotters, which is a rather narrower definition of people who go and watch trains specifically to collect locomotive numbers etc.

I'm not sure how I can suggest increasing the "accessibility" of the hobby as it is open to anyone who has access to a working railway. However, on the subject of the do's and don'ts, I would stress safety as the first consideration always. Never ever trespass on the railway and always be conscious of the effect of anything you might do on your own safety and that of other railway users.

I would suggest you might start by wandering down to your local station and watch the trains coming and going. It might become quite addictive! The staff are generally happy to have responsible trainspotters on the station but often like you to go and see them first to tell them what you're doing, which I think is reasonable.

Other members, I'm sure, will offer their sound advice but hope this helps.

... and once again, please always make safety your absolute priority when out and about on the railway.

Ian
Old 10th October 2013, 18:01

Thanks Ian for the advice I have found some useful information on the subject through digging back through threads. I’m currently looking at the hobby of spotting itself.

As far accessibility goes the hobby of spotting is one that many people take part in and is clearly very rewarding; my goal of the project is to get people who know very little on the subject (like myself) to dip their feet in and give it a go and hopefully find a passion in it.

Your suggestion of going down and getting stuck in is a great idea and one I will be trying.
Old 10th October 2013, 18:57

Firstly welcome to the very best forum on this subject. You will find a wealth of info in all the past threads. I am mainly into photography of steam locomotives. As a lad I was a train spotter in and around the Lincoln area. I loved it. I left that behind back in the late 60's with the end of steam. Then in 2007 I found myself at the North Yorkshire Railway and that renewed my interest in steam. Now I travel country wide to visit the many heritage railways we have in this country. One near you is the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway, small in comparison to many but just as interesting too.
Good luck with your project and hope you enjoy whatever you do.
Cheers
Phil
Old 10th October 2013, 19:52
Station Manager

Hello Ian and welcome to the Railway Forum. Never been a spotter myself, but have had a love of railways from the age of 4, when I stopped the Cape Town to Bulawayo mail (express) train by sitting on the line. All because I wanted a ride on the engine. I learned all about safety from my farther when the station master called him to come and fetch me. After that I always stayed safe from dad and the railway, though I still spent many afternoons down at the loco sheds of Bulawayo.