07:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Brand new mark 3s?

Old 30th September 2010, 02:11

The point about adding and removing additional coaches mentioned in the original 'Mag report was an odd one; it's unlikely that this would be realistic in the true sense due to the logistics of it - the time factor, the stabling issues and the problems of having additional locos lying around to do the deed - though it would doubtless allow massive improvements to services. One interesting possibility raised with the HST fleet was a further rebuild of the current trailers, to include power doors & tanked toilets etc, with new-build power cars. Makes sense. I fear that any newbuild loco-hauled coaching stock engines would more than likely come in the form of a 'new' class 67, they pretty much fit the bill I guess, though the barn-like styling isn't particularly impressive :-/

Old 30th September 2010, 10:41

The 67 has been offered before as a HST power car replacement with just one 'driving cab', about when Virgin looked set for 'Challenger' 2+5 HST sets.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 30th September 2010, 14:24

In the latest Modern Railways Roger Ford says that the DFT is actualy considering Trakx locos and hauled stock as an alternative to IEP.Obviously this will give flexibility that is urgently required in the future,also Trakx are proven locos used all over europe so build some Mk3,s and we have the answer to many problems.If the GWR electrification does happen Pendolinos would be a good choice ,just put better seats in them!!!!!!
Old 30th September 2010, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5701 View Post
In the latest Modern Railways Roger Ford says that the DFT is actualy considering Trakx locos and hauled stock as an alternative to IEP.Obviously this will give flexibility that is urgently required in the future,also Trakx are proven locos used all over europe so build some Mk3,s and we have the answer to many problems.If the GWR electrification does happen Pendolinos would be a good choice ,just put better seats in them!!!!!!
Excuse my ignorance, but what are Trakx locos ?
Old 30th September 2010, 22:38

If they ever build/rebuild Pendolinos, do you think that they could line up the seats with the windows? They manage it on all passenger aircraft!
Extra coaches? Isn't that what the Class 153's were made for? They are certainly used here in the South West to bolster service trains.
Old 1st October 2010, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I think they might mean these;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAXX

I could be wrong. They look good though to be fair.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:30

Quote:
Seimmens build them for all over europe good locos very versatile.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:32

Quote:
built by Bombardier for europe
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:48

Thanks for the "Wiki" link, I wondered what TRAXX locos were too. It is a pity that they all look like shipping containers with end windows. (and we thought the "Skips" were bad).
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:14

there are two ways foward without a new build at the moment
there 80 mk 3 s in store on Irish railways need to re gague the bogies. I am sure they could find a way of chopping 7" off the width of the bogies, they even have sliding plug doors
also there are a load of ex buffet cars in store cut a few extra windows in them, new seats and bingo. I read you cannot cut holes in mk3 s cos of the way they are made. but i read that chiltern are thinking of putting windows in D V T s ,,I wish great eastern would do the same it is a waste to have an empty D V T taking up as much space as a coach on limited length crowded thains on the Norwich run