12:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Brand new mark 3s?

Old 3rd August 2010, 10:22

Brand new mark 3s?

I know that quite a few members do not real Rail magazine for a variety of reasons, but I would strongly reccomend the purchase of the current issue.

The Editor had explained that a new build batch of mark 3s could solve many of the country's needs railwaywise. Nigel Harris did point this out last issue, and this issue there is a storm of agreeable letters on the subject.
He says (and others) they are more comfortable than MUs, stockcan be added or taken off when required, and this would provide a use for all the DVTs lying around. Above all according to Rail it is cheaper.
Being cheaper is possibly going to break the ice here.

Will we see loco hauled trains in the near future?

(P.S: In case any info is incorrect, don't blame me I didn't say it. )

Old 3rd August 2010, 12:43

Then all we will need is a flood of brand new ETH fitted loco's to haul them.

I don't think there would be enough 57s,67s or leccie loco's around.

37s very few and far between.
47s as above but as rare as hens teeth
58s Can't remember if they were fitted or not but again none about.
59s 60s and 66s not fitted

Leccies never been passed on so can't say

My thought, It would be nice to see some nice comfy driver friendly loco's brought into this country.

There is one other problem, The bus companies that currently run the provisional services, i.e FIRST Scotrail, Arriva trains etc do not want thier drivers learning big loco's as this leaves the door open for the drivers heading off to the freight side where the wages are better.

Les
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:55

A new batch of locos as you say, but another issue brought up in the magazine was that the stock should be british built, and so should locos. I think a few places can still do the work, such as Brush traction and Brush Barclay. Those jobs are badly needed.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:55

[QUOTE=steam for ever;51609]A new batch of locos as you say, but another issue brought up in the magazine was that the stock should be british built, and so should locos.

Completly agree, but we just have to look at the British built class 60s, the teething troubles that they had and the few that are still still in traffic are having and how old are they. Now look at the Yank crap thats going about now after 66001 came in and went through the railtrack testing programme, the rest, and the 67s came over on the boat and straight into traffic with minimum fuss.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of 66s and 67s,the most noisy,uncomfy dirty heaps of TIN you can get, For reliablility though they are second to none.

So if a new loco was to be built in the UK then the reliability has to be there as well.

Les
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:16

Another thing put in rail is a completely british desined and built train, from the same bloke that designed the penolinos.
http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-conte...ry-Train_1.jpg

Not a loco, but the pendolinos were (and are) very successful, and that was british thinking there, even if they were not Brithsh built. All that is needed is to use the same logic on diesel traction.

Britain has the potential to do it, but in the last 30 or so years the "cutting corners policy" has emerged in what is left of our industries. To my mind this is down to the constant attempts to turn the UK into a tertiary country. It hasn't worked, and so here we are.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:17

Ah right, looking back through rail, someone said that the few class 67s out there, along with the DVTs could provide a better service (less crowded) on the Manchester to bournemouth crosscountry service, leaving the present super voyagers to go where they could do some good, like the liverpool to Manchester line.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:29

mk 3,s

In Modern Railways Roger Ford suggested Mk3,s plus Trakx locos from the continent a sensible solution to the problem.Lets hope that the DFT are taken out of the equasion and the franchises are left to organise their own trains.Incedentilay Roger Fords column is an excellent source of information of what is happenning in the real world boiling frogs and all!Rail mag is a reasonable mag I have read since it started and found it to be a useful source of info etc so whats the problem. Certain of the other mags are not so good.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:35

mk3,s

Pendilinos uncomfortable ,smelly loos that dont work,buffets that are useless.Try sitting on a pendi standard class plank to Glasgow!Also they are very noisy give me Mk3,s anytime.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5701 View Post
Pendilinos uncomfortable ,smelly loos that dont work,buffets that are useless.Try sitting on a pendi standard class plank to Glasgow!Also they are very noisy give me Mk3,s anytime.
I quite agree. The only good thing about Pendolinos is that they are fast.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland Compound View Post
I quite agree. The only good thing about Pendolinos is that they are fast.
Me too awful trains aircraft on wheels