09:18

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Double-Decker Trains

Old 8th September 2006, 12:38
Station Manager

Pat,
You forgot to add the site address.
Syd

Old 8th September 2006, 14:38

No I didn't!!! Just click the word "here" in my last post.
The link for thiose of you who want it is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4456666.stm

Last edited by patlucas; 8th September 2006 at 14:42.
Old 8th September 2006, 20:46

In the article, which is nearly a year old, it says:
"Lib Dem transport spokesman Tom Brake said it was time ministers started looking at ways to increase room on trains such as building "double decker" trains"
I see from his profile on the LibDems website that Mr.Brake was brought up and educated in France. I wonder if he got the idea for double-decker trains from France and if he is aware of the differences in loading gauge?
I rarely give politicians much credit
John.
Old 18th September 2006, 21:18

There is so much talk on changing the railways at the monent, I recently rad about the idea of introducing a Maglev between Manchester and Liverpool, I don't really see what is wrong with the railways the way that theya re. There are already improvements happening on the lines at the moment anyway such as the WCML.

Perhaps this double decker idea might be linked to the idea of a TGV between Edinbrugh and London that was brought up at one point, that would need new track for high speed running.
Old 18th September 2006, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks
......... I don't really see what is wrong with the railways the way that theya re. .......................
I agree David. We just need to improve on what we already have. Reliable, comfortable trains with reasonable prices would be a good start. No need for any fancy MAGLEV's
John.
Old 19th September 2006, 10:01

Arrow

We dont need new high speed railways all we need to do is upgrade the existing railways. If neccessary make the WCML 4 tracks from London to Glasgow and ECML 4 tracks from London to Edinburgh and onto Glasgow. As well as re-opening the GCR from Sheffield to London for frieght and maybe extending it northwards to Scotland.
Old 19th September 2006, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWR9600
As well as re-opening the GCR from Sheffield to London for frieght and maybe extending it northwards to Scotland.
Excellent idea. By the way, would you go around, through, or over Loughborough? And would you let the little steam club there carry on with playing trains inbetween the 160mph 3000 ton super-Eurostars?