11:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Double-Decker Trains

Old 13th July 2006, 23:23

Double-Decker Trains

Hi

I have been living in the UK for 20 years or so. Before that, I was living in France where double-deker trains have been a common site for a long time. I cannot understand why, here in the UK, they have failed to appear especially around London where over-crowding is a big problem. London is much bigger than Paris and has many more comuters; yet, Paris has had double-decker trains for a long time. Berlin has them too and so does Warsaw. So why not London? I would be very happy to know what others have to say about this. It just doesn't make sense to me!

Regards

Patrick

Old 14th July 2006, 09:51

Hello Patrick and welcome to the forum.
The Southern Region had a few double-decker trains in the 50's and 60's but they were very cramped due to the restrictive British loading gauge. Modern double-decker trains have been talked about but the cost of altering bridges and tunnels would be very high.
John.
Old 14th July 2006, 12:32

To run high-speed trains in the UK, they will need to make the line straighter as the current curves are too sharp for high-speed. By the way, all curves on the French LGV's (Ligne Grande Vitesse) have a 15km radius to allow for high-speed.
Old 14th July 2006, 14:23

The British double decker trains that have alredy been mentioned where designed by Bullied. I've heard that if you sat downstairs you could smell the feet off the people upstairs, but I don't know how true that is.
Old 14th July 2006, 15:02

These trains must have looked very strange since bridges in the UK are so low. Are there any pictures that I could have a look at?
Old 14th July 2006, 20:52
Station Manager

I think a couple of coaches have been preserved. There was an article in one of the magazines recently but I can't remember which. Will do some research unless someone else comes up with the info!
Old 14th July 2006, 22:04
Station Manager

Financial Times: March 15 2006
http://www.rmtbristolrail.org.uk/arc...00001637.shtml
Have a look at this site for some info on Double Decker trains.
Syd
Old 14th July 2006, 22:28

Some photos of the 4 DD EMU's here.

http://www.zenadsl5777.zen.co.uk/Railpix/
Old 14th July 2006, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi
I've heard that if you sat downstairs you could smell the feet off the people upstairs, but I don't know how true that is.
It could have been worse
Old 15th July 2006, 21:19

This was another one of Bulleid's ideas that need to be put into context.

Post War, the Southern was facing sudden critical overcrowding and they had worked out the expense of introducing 10-coach trains. This would have involved extending platforms with consequent major changes in track layouts and signalling. It was going to cost 10's of millions of pounds at 1948 prices, and take years to implement. (= Billions in today's prices??)

So the Double Decker was exactly the right technical solution on paper for speed of introduction and economy. But it didn’t work for many well documented reasons. At least he didn’t build 100s of them before discovering the problem.

This is what fascinates me about Bulleid. So many of his ideas were absolutely right on paper, but couldn’t quite be delivered, so the idea ended up as failures.