11:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

your first ecounter with the southern?

Old 10th April 2009, 18:31
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Question bibbylin

i heard that unrebuilt pacific 'bibby-lin' axles snapped during service then,'foreigners' gresley V2s took the service while all were withdrawn for inspection?is this one of the reasons they were re-built,but this was in the 50s when this accured

Old 10th April 2009, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHEASTERN-465 View Post
i heard that unrebuilt pacific 'bibby-lin' axles snapped during service then,'foreigners' gresley V2s took the service while all were withdrawn for inspection?is this one of the reasons they were re-built,but this was in the 50s when this accured
Two of Colwick's (38A)B1s 61188 & 61192 were also "loaned" to the Southern region at that time for two weeks that was in 1953 I don' know which section of the Southern so I don't know where they worked to.
Old 10th April 2009, 18:47
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Question

ill look it up and tell you tommorow,but im shaw it was a bournmouth bound train?as for the part of the southern they were working on i woudnt have a clue but i'll look that up to,but i guess they had to do all the pacifics jobs!

Last edited by SOUTHEASTERN-465; 10th April 2009 at 18:51.
Old 10th April 2009, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHEASTERN-465 View Post
ill look it up and tell you tommorow,but im shaw it was a bournmouth bound train?as for the part of the southern they were working on i woudnt have a clue but i'll look that up to.
If the B1s worked to Bournemouth that would be the "Waetern Section" working out of Waterloo they could have been on the "Eastern section" working out of London Bridge to Dover.
Old 11th April 2009, 00:15

a 33 on the kensington-olympia drag. in late 80's then the bubble on the greenford branch. after that watching 50's through clapham.

www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Old 11th April 2009, 08:52

I've bever got round to travelling in Southern territory yet, but my first encounter with a Southern locomotive was 34067 Tangmere at the East Lancs Spring Gala back in 2006 (I think it was 2006, but that sounds like a long time ago now!).
Old 11th April 2009, 13:04
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Smile

thanks pavorossi,and,6678bjm,your a luckyman seing a 'cromptom' class 33 in its heyday,and povorossi is 34067 unrebuilt,or original?
Old 11th April 2009, 13:12
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Smile

reply for bubblewrap,
it was april 1953,and centre driving axle of no.35020 'bibbyline' snapped as it passed crewkerne with the 2:20 pm ilfracombe-to-waterloo,all MNs were withdrawn for inspection,while gresley V2s worked the 'bournmouth belle','britanias' worked the 'A.C.E' and 'Black Fives'and the B1s undertook lesser duties releasing Light-pacifics for Merchant Navy work,
hope this helped,SouthEastern-465,Nsers member
_______________________________________________BR Network-SouthEast 1984-1986'old,late,and dirty' the good days of the southern!
Old 11th April 2009, 14:53

Tangmere is in original condition, and can often be seen on the mainline down south. Alas, it doesn't tend to venture North as much as it did when it was part owned by Ian Riley.
Old 11th April 2009, 15:18
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Smile

thanks adam,
do you have any unrebuilt pacifics on the east lancs?