18:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Single fares v Return fares.

Old 15th January 2009, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
.................For a journey to stations like Manchester Airport or Liverpool South Parkway then the train can be seen as an unattractive option if an Off-Peak Return (previously Saver) is not available, as most passengers using those stations won't be returning the same day.
Good point. Sounds like the sort of daft thing we do in this country. Build a station, provide a regular train service and then set the fares so that people won't use them.

Old 15th January 2009, 13:39

[B][I can see why so many people are anoyed and frustrated ,and put off by traveling by train because of the prices that are more mixed than pic and mix and so bloody confusing When me and my son went to washington last year we found this with our railfare ,first i went to our local staion where we live where i was told no more savers avaiable no day returns at all its all stoped only tickets are open returns so i priced the tickets from malton to heathrow airport open returns was quoted £474 pounds for 2 adults hmm i thought thanked him and came home luckily for us we are online and still in our modern age many folks still are not so i looked online found a ticket seller after checking around the net gave them a ring they quoted me £192 pounds the lot our tickets to kings cross and the tickets to heathrow as well could not belive the price from the one i was quoted at the station also my tickets were actually singles there and back as well as info about track maintenace on our return so we would have bus journeys from stevanege to peterborough to carry on our jourey home by rail which i did not mind especialy as they told me about it the bus trip was around 1 and a half hours but we were told and thats the thing realy with me if i had paid on the day the £474 pound price then got back from the states to be presented with a bus trip i would have been livid ,and also a rail ticket company online had more up to date info than my own local station and better value if the rail companys boxed clever now they could realy encouage more people on the trains because the buses are saturated now with the free bus pass people and pensioners which they are entitled to and its about time they got something back but the bus companys cram em on like sardines on minamel buses and some companys in york are taking out some bus services and routes because they take no money or are not subsidised enough so the railways could realy shine if they make the ticket system in laymens terms ?/B]
Old 15th January 2009, 19:43

Interesting story Yorkydeltic.
When you are able to book in advance your local station often tends to be the worst place to do it.
Old 15th January 2009, 21:04

Train fares are the biggest jungle going. We have the most expensive fares and the cheapest in this country. Getting to them is the clever bit.
Richard
Old 17th January 2009, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
For day trips why are National Rail walk-on single fares so expensive when compared to the equivalent return fares?
My wife and I are keen walkers and there are many places within a 10-12 mile radius of our local station that would make excellent starting points for a walk back home.
To give some examples of what I mean the cheapest available single fare to Chester is £5.30 but the equivalent return is only £5.60. The cheapest available single fare to Lostock Gralam is £9.20 whilst the return is only £11.20. Although farther afield another possibility is Altrincham but once again the cheapest single ticket costs £9.50 against a return fare of only £10.20.
I suppose National Rail would argue that the single fare is the correct price and that you are getting a fantastic discount for buying a return but I find it very hard to think that way myself.
Since both you and your wife are interested in walking, a number of possibilities suggest themselves – some more sensible than others !

1. one of you goes outwards by train and returns walking, the other walks outward and returns by train. The one who goes by train outwards buys a return ticket, and hands it over to the other when they meet somewhere along the walk.

2. if it is possible to get a period return ticket, then do two walks, one in each direction on different days

3. buy a return ticket, and when you reach your destination, sell the return half to someone who wants to make the journey in the opposite direction. [ obviously you will be more likely to find someone at Altrincham than Lostock Gralam ! ]
Old 17th January 2009, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
On the plus side when people buy returns and don't use the return section it helps make up for unaccounted passengers in statistics, in particular one's that board at unstaffed stations and the conductor on the train doesn't have time to sell them a ticket.
The conductor needs to be motivated to collect the fares as well, of course !

Virgin never seemed to be interested in whether you had a ticket or not, unless you travelled to or from London. I used to travel by Virgin between Crewe and Stafford almost every day. Usually returning from Stafford on the 1619 Euston – Liverpool. I don’t think I had my ticket checked once in over a year ! Outward from Crewe (usually on 0854) I got checked about once or twice a week.
Old 17th January 2009, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland Compound View Post
Since both you and your wife are interested in walking, a number of possibilities suggest themselves – some more sensible than others !

1. one of you goes outwards by train and returns walking, the other walks outward and returns by train. The one who goes by train outwards buys a return ticket, and hands it over to the other when they meet somewhere along the walk.
An interesting way of saving money but I don't think the missus would fancy the idea of walking alone.

Quote:
2. if it is possible to get a period return ticket, then do two walks, one in each direction on different days
As you say period returns aren't available for the routes mentioned so you are back to buying singles.

Quote:
3. buy a return ticket, and when you reach your destination, sell the return half to someone who wants to make the journey in the opposite direction. [ obviously you will be more likely to find someone at Altrincham than Lostock Gralam ! ]
Would YOU buy a one-way ticket to Runcorn?
Old 18th January 2009, 09:31

[QUOTE=Midland Compound;23279]

I suggested something somilar with my brother, but he thought it is actually not legal to buy a ticket with the intent of giving it to someone else. Is it?
Richard
Old 18th January 2009, 11:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard thompson View Post
QUOTE=Midland Compound;23279

I suggested something somilar with my brother, but he thought it is actually not legal to buy a ticket with the intent of giving it to someone else. Is it?
Richard
Your brother is correct, Richard.
In the National Rail "Conditions of Carriage" http://nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf it says:

"A ticket may only be used by the person for whom it has been bought. It may not be resold or passed on to anyone else unless this is specifically allowed by the terms and conditions which apply to that ticket and which are set out in the notices and publications of the relevant Train Company."

However, I don't know how they could prove that someone had contravened this rule.

Another interesting rule that might be applicable should you try passing part of a return ticket to another person is this one:

"A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward journey shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use the outward part of a return ticket after you have used the return part."

Last edited by swisstrains; 18th January 2009 at 11:35.
Old 18th January 2009, 22:06

Thanks for that bit of info!
richard