04:19

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Train Reversal into Terminus

Old 9th March 2006, 21:11

Train Reversal into Terminus

I often wonder how little I know of Railways, although I love them.
I have read on a book for the first time that American Passenger Locomotive-hauled Trains do not enter a Terminus directly, but rather go into a "wye", and then reverse with the Tail/Observation Car leading into the Terminus.
The book is in Italian, for the record its title is "L'epopea del treno" (the marking of train epochs).
On this book there are two pictures of the LNER Coronation train of 1937, showing the Tail-car inside and out.
My question then is: did this train also reverse into the Terminus?
What was British practice for this operation?
Now I tell you what I believed prior to reading the above: the train went straight through, passengers alighted, then the train was sent backwards in a reversing loop under the mainline and set ready for the return trip.
Well, this was the practice on the Melbourne Model Railway Society great layout, when I lived down under 30 years ago.
By the way, does any of you have the book THE WORLD OF MODEL TRAINS by Guy R.Williams (Autumn 1970) ? Read the piece on the great MMRS.

Old 12th March 2006, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario
On this book there are two pictures of the LNER Coronation train of 1937, showing the Tail-car inside and out.
My question then is: did this train also reverse into the Terminus?
What was British practice for this operation?
That's a hell of a good question Dario. I don't think that there is a 'wye' outside of Kings Cross, so I suppose that the 'beaver tail' was detached from the rest of the stock and turned on a turntable. I've never read anything about it though, so I'm only guessing.
Old 13th March 2006, 19:21
Station Manager

The observation coach used on the West Highland betwen Fort William and Mallaig was turned on the turntable. There are several published photos showing this .
Old 14th March 2006, 22:29

I'm no expert but UK steam practice at termini was to run the whole train in to the buffers (not literally!) Then a station pilot loco would haul the empty carriages off to carriage sidings (sometimes miles away) for servicing, which would release the mainline loco to go off to a separate loco depot.

For Departures a new set of carriages was brought in from the carriage sidings (having the observation car shunted and turned to be at the right end of the train) The station pilot loco would sit at the bufferstop until the main line loco backed on to the tain at the other end. On depature of the train the station pilot loco sometimes acted as a banker.

Many termini had serarate arrivals platforms and departure platforms and there was all this crazy shunting up and down of empty stock to and from the carriage sidings. Why have only two movements per arrival/departure when you can have eight?
Old 14th March 2006, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
Many termini had serarate arrivals platforms and departure platforms and there was all this crazy shunting up and down of empty stock to and from the carriage sidings. Why have only two movements per arrival/departure when you can have eight?
'Cos it was much more fun to watch!
Old 15th March 2006, 18:21

Thank you fellows for your most valuable contributions.
So the practice of shunting coaches etc in 8 movements is still common here in Italy, at least, until they will have all unit-trains with driving coaches.
I suggest the reason was, on national railways as against private companies in the States: it provided more work for more people, no matter how long it takes.
Old 15th March 2006, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
'Cos it was much more fun to watch!

.......and if it was good enough for George Stephenson and Brunel, it was good enough for British Railways.
Old 16th March 2006, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat
it was good enough for British Railways.
.......until the advent of almost all passenger services being in the hands of glorified bog carts.
Old 28th March 2006, 21:14

I would like to see this forum (not just this thread) revitalized and not dying.
Is it ever possible there is such lack of ideas about trains?
....just derailed people?
I dont want an answer below.
I want to read news about trains:
Old 14th July 2006, 13:34

I beleive that in Paris Auzterlitz, after arrival the loco is detached from the train and advances a few meters. A new loco then comes and is coupled to the other end of the train to form the departing service. Once the train has departed, the track is free for the original loco to leave the station towards some sidings where it will await its next train. Quite economical!