11:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Mileage help.

Old 19th August 2008, 20:58

Welcome to the forum Flying Pig, I remember coming home from school behind one of your engines.
Paul.

Old 22nd August 2008, 11:24

Right, I managed to hunt down a couple of publications so I can put some definite numbers in now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensmeister View Post
With St. Pancras International (First Capital Connect) station opening I wondered if any one knew the distance in decimal (or miles and chains) between the new station and the following stations?

Farringdon.
West Hampstead Thameslink.
Surprisingly St Pancras International Low Level hadn't made it into the LMR Sectional Appendix, but typically for the Railway I found it in the LNER updates for Feb 2008

To prevent arguments later, let me make it absolutely clear that the MILEAGE DATUM I'm using is MOORGATE as 0m00ch.

This makes sense as all three stations lie on the Moorgate lines, however confusion can occur as there are two others datums (data ?) that crop up sometimes for stations on this route...(1) The LMR/SR boundary in Snowhill Tunnel, and (2) St Pancras Mainline.

Also sadly the LNER Sexual Appendage only covered the LMR as far as Kentish Town, but hopefully Lensmeister should already have the distance from there to West Hampstead TL.

What I have then is...

Farringdon 0m62ch
St Pancras Int LL 2m11ch
Kentish Town 3m40ch

If my base80 algebra is correct,
Farringdon - St Pancras Int Low Level is 1m29ch
and
St Pancras Int Low Level - Kentish Town is also 1m29ch

Spooky or what ? So St Pancras lies bang slap in between the two existing stations.

It's not quite the answer to Lensmeister's question, but it should be enough to get him sorted.

Quote:
Also with the new station at Mitcham Eastfields the distances between thre and Streatham and Eastfields and Mitcham Juntion?
Right, on this one I don't know what the Mileage Datum was because it came from the Periodical Operating Notice so I didn't have all the pages (I'm guessing it might be Victoria Central side).

Anyway the location of Eastfields was confirmed as 9m19ch, so once again if my base80 algebra is correct, taking...

Streatham as 7m48ch
Eastfields as 9m19ch
Mitcham Jn as 10m30ch

Streatham - Eastfields is 1m51ch
Eastfields - Mitcham Jn is 1m11ch

As a quick check that gives the distance from Streatham to Mitcham Jn as 2m62ch, which is correct in my SA. Phew !

Well I hope this is of some use use, and I hope I haven't shamed myself in front of the world as a maths klutz.

F.P.
Old 27th August 2008, 14:41

Many thanks all.

Flying pig ... thanks this is indeed helpful ... I know on the Kings Cross Thameslink (oh how i wish it was till open) Northbound platform that is a bridge maker saying 1 mile 54 chains ... So I am asuming this is from the Boundry point between Farringdon and City Thameslink and that particular bridge.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:14

I was going to add to this thread ... Anyone else that needs miles and chains ... I have the books and i can look it up for you.

Or post on this thread and any that my books are missing we can get them together and I'll try and produce some Excel sheets on them to help out.

Maybe even have all of them up todate in the future.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:19

Quote:
I know on the Kings Cross Thameslink (oh how i wish it was till open) Northbound platform that is a bridge maker saying 1 mile 54 chains ... So I am asuming this is from the Boundry point between Farringdon and City Thameslink and that particular bridge.
Nope it really looks like the Moorgate datum again, as the Midlands Region Sectional Appendix (8 June 2003) page 2.5.2 gives the distance from Moorgate to Kings X T/L as 1m55ch.
Old 29th August 2008, 18:51

Lensmeister, the system won't let me send a reply to your PM (have you got a setting that is causing this ?) so I'm posting the reply to your question here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensmeister
I was wondering how to get a copy of the Sectional appendix. Is it online or electonic at all?
Hi Neil, The Sectional Appendix is a loose-leaf publication in A5 format inside a hard binder. I've never had to buy a copy, and they used to be a restricted publication (Ie, specifically NOT to be shownto the public) But since Privatisation anything seems available for a price. A quick Google gives a link to here...www.willsonshop.com/subcategory.asp?sid=5

Or if you just want the odd page I could scan it and Email it to you. The copies I own are Network Rail Midlands Region & NR Southern region.

Incidentally as an aside - did you know that you can download the entire Driver's Rulebook FOR FREE from here...www.rgsonline.co.uk/rail/rule_modules.html ?

HTH,
John

Last edited by Flying Pig; 29th August 2008 at 19:00.
Old 29th August 2008, 20:40

Cheers mate ....

When payday comes about (not often enough) I'll invest in the Southern area one

Cheers again for all your help.
Old 1st September 2008, 17:26

Neil I can't stand by and watch you spend your hard earned money.

I've still got an old copy of the Southern Sectional Appendix which you can have for nothing if you like. There's no binder and it's out of date, but you can't knock a freebie !!

Just PM me with an address to sent it to.

Cheers,
FP.
Old 10th January 2009, 21:00

Quote:
I was going to add to this thread ... Anyone else that needs miles and chains ... I have the books and i can look it up for you.

Or post on this thread and any that my books are missing we can get them together and I'll try and produce some Excel sheets on them to help out.

Maybe even have all of them up todate in the future.

I'm surprised that there is nothing like the old Miles and Chains books available nowadays. I've got the Eastern, LM and Scottish ones, and would welcome having up to date versions of these. Surprised there is no Website that gives this information either ...